FM Network Stability

This topic is 4971 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've set up a FM network at our office. I installed FM 11 on all the computers that need access but there seems to be a stability issue. FM keeps doing a force close or saying there are connection problems.

We're using FM with 4 computers. My computer is hosting. All running windows XP. I'm also running IWP (should I turn that off?). Wifi network. We upgraded our internet speed and bought a new router so that everyone's wifi is faster and stronger.

Any suggestions?

This really is a "flaky" set up.

1. The fact that you are hosting to the others, and presumably using your computer too will likely cause FM to fail to respond to its clients quickly enough - hence the messages.

2. WiFi for clients is okay, but at least have the hosting machine on 1Gb wired.

Genrally speaking there are no network issues with FM - provided it is configured correctly.

Yes, you should definitely use FileMaker Server for hosting your databases to other computers.

You may also want to consider using a professional FileMaker Hosting Provider such as ourselves:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

We provide the server hardware, FileMaker Server Advanced licenses, upgrades, maintenance, monitoring, etc. so you don't have too. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions either here or off-list to jmay(at)pointinspace.com.

- John

Thanks for the responses!

When I get the error messages I'm not actually using the host machine. FM is just running on it. If I were to put it on our server, how would I run it? Doesn't FM have to be open and running in order for it to be accessed? How would I do that on a server that is used just for storage?

Also make sure that clients are opening the file through the "Open Remote" dialog and NOT by accessing your machine directly.

Nice catch! That would definitely be bad. I am, however, using the open remote dialog.

This topic is 4971 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.