Directory Listing

This topic is 4829 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi to all!

Does anyone know if it is possible via scripting first to generate a filelist in a directory(with or without subdirectories), and then use this list to create and populate a table?

From what I am slightly aware of, it can be done in terms of VBA and Access (hmm, that's the enemy right? - yuk). Is there any solution for FM?

There is a free MooPlug plug-in for Windows which can do this, and some other useful things with files.

http://mooplug.com

Fenton, this must be as close as someone can get I believe, and probably in the easiest way.

I'll try it and tell you.

Awesome link!!! Many thanks for your contribution!!! :(

:yourock:

Edited by Guest

You're welcome. But thank the developer. He's a great guy to do this plug-in for free. He is sometimes on the list here also. There is another free plug-in, ScriptMaster, from 360Works, which can do this, and all kinds of other stuff. But MooPlug is simpler and easier. Get both :(-!

One of the free plugins would be my choice. Without plugins it can still be done very easily:

- use the Send EVent to launch this command: cmd /c dir >c:myDirList.txt

- let FM pause of a second to give the command time to finish

- import the file c:myDirList and parse through it.

• 1 year later...

Hey there, I would love some advice from you guys.

I was looking around for a solution to getting a directory listing, and found this (http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/69209-directory-listing/).

I have to use a solution that works on both macs and windows, and I would like to avoid using a plugin if at all possible.

I was just wondering if much has changed regarding this method (described in the last post) and if there is a "better" way of doing this.

Thanks for reading :)

-Lillian

I don't think anything's changed since that last post.

I've been working with the ScriptMaster plug-in lately, and I'd say that if you want cross-platform that's the way to go.

If you really don't want a plug-in, then take Wim Decorte's suggestion for Windows, and perform a similar command on Mac (either via shell script, or AppleScript).

I'll definitely be trying out this scriptmaker plugin, looks good, thanks dan!

Also is it possible (and relatively easy) to do the following using either Scriptmaker or something else:

Get a list of folders in a location, then get a list of documents in each of these folders and give them an ID related to the folder they're in.

Hope this makes sense (and for the record, this wasn't my idea).

Thanks all

This topic is 4829 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.