Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Stuck with a lookup

miltont

This topic is 4801 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone,

I am stuck with a lookup to automatically populate some fields.

Tables are 1. Jobs and 2. Sites

Join is via Jobs::_id_Sites = Sites::_id_Sites

Other fields are:

Jobs::SiteAddress (Drop down list from Sites::Address)

Jobs::SiteContact

Jobs::SitePhone

Sites::Address

Sites::Contact

Sites::Phone

I want the fields Jobs::SiteContact and Jobs::SitePhone to be auto populated from Sites::Contact and Sites::Phone respectively

when the user chooses a Site address from the drop down list.

I have tried so many times and cannot get it to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Milton.

First of all it is important to know that both choices are valid but are selected for different reasons.

You use lookups generally to capture moment-in-time data. Such as price information. When you create a sales order, you want to look up the prices, you do not want last year's order to show this year's prices.

For other purpose, it is often valid to merely display related data. What is supposed to happen if the site contact changes? Do you want to see the new site contact when looking at the job? Or, another possibility, the job contact should normally be the site contact by default, but sometimes you want the flexibility to assign somebody different.

In any case - to display related data you merely put a copy of the related field on the layout.

But since you appear to be having issues with correctly setting up relationships, I suggest you post a copy or clone of your file.

First of all it is important to know that both choices are valid but are selected for different reasons.

You use lookups generally to capture moment-in-time data. Such as price information. When you create a sales order, you want to look up the prices, you do not want last year's order to show this year's prices.

For other purpose, it is often valid to merely display related data. What is supposed to happen if the site contact changes? Do you want to see the new site contact when looking at the job? Or, another possibility, the job contact should normally be the site contact by default, but sometimes you want the flexibility to assign somebody different.

In any case - to display related data you merely put a copy of the related field on the layout.

But since you appear to be having issues with correctly setting up relationships, I suggest you post a copy or clone of your file.

Bruce

I have attached a zip folder with the file, no passwords have been set.

Milton

Bruce

I have attached a zip folder with the file, no passwords have been set.

Milton

Oops, no attachments. The attachment process here is a little confusing.

There is no problem.

Your lookup is working correctly.

However, you seem to have confused yourself by using two fields with similar names.

_id_Sites

IDSites

In addition - if you are having difficulty in this VERY complex file with such basic concepts as display of related data, then this may not be a project you should be working on.

show_related.png

This topic is 4801 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.