I found the old site easier to use

This topic is 4790 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

All I want to do is see new questions. I find this is not as simple as it was with the previous site. In fact, I find this site confusing. The position of menu items seems to change depending where I am. I admit that I mostly find upgrades to sites an impediment to accessing information. Are they designed to make ads and sponsored content more visible or difficult to avoid,

Norman

I agree with you, Norman. I used to click "No Replies," in order to answer questions. Although there is a way to view "My Content," it's not as easy as it was on the old site to see if a thread has progressed and I need to follow up. Finally, I used to search for demos by searching for posts with attachments. I haven't figured out how to do that yet. And..I miss comment's blog.

Although, the more "full-featured" quick reply is nice.

I hear you - however we are committed with this engine going forward - the developers are actively improving the software -

the new content is one thing that has been voiced and in the next version will be hopefully addressed.

The former software is dead - as the developers have lost interest or have day jobs.

This software is much more versatile and has a rich third party community to extent the core functionality, I evaluate many

features and enhancements - some free - some paid for.

I spend time (under the hood) on the site as it is a personal passion - sometimes I even put PAYING work on hold to finish

tweaks upgrades to the negative effect of my wallet.

My weekly commitments for my FileMaker consultancy takes priority - this site is funded by myself and volunteers who monetarily

contribute and our affiliate advertising partners - and you by telling them when you purchase their products & services that you heard about them from FMForums. So they know where their advertising dollars are being well spent.

Your generosity does help me schedule more time to increase my PHP skills so that I can be more self sufficient and make needed enhancements

and not have to wait for a third party to developer the needed feature.

Regardless - Most importantly our site is supported by the cognitive wealth of its members. This interchange is the primary objective.

To facilitate the point of connection for enthusiasts of FileMaker worldwide.

Sincerely

Stephen

There are several things that I like better in the new software, and a few things I would like to have modified. Do you have a list of changes that you are working on now' or do you want us to post something specific that we find lacking?

Lee

I have just noticed one reason why I was having difficulties. When the browser width is too narrow the menu items get shifted from where they should be. So 'New Content' seemed to disappear but was in small text below the bar meant to contain it. See attachment.

When I say 'narrow' that is relative as my screen is 1920x1200 so my browser window is quite wide.

Also noticed, when starting this reply, that there is no cursor showing in the edit area. In fact hitting a carriage return makes it disappear as well.

Running Chrome under XP,

Norman

Menu Items.PNG

Would actual coding volunteers help? Or would you prefer cash donations?

I would not turn down either generosity.

I have just noticed one reason why I was having difficulties. When the browser width is too narrow the menu items get shifted from where they should be. So 'New Content' seemed to disappear but was in small text below the bar meant to contain it. See attachment.

When I say 'narrow' that is relative as my screen is 1920x1200 so my browser window is quite wide.

Also noticed, when starting this reply, that there is no cursor showing in the edit area. In fact hitting a carriage return makes it disappear as well.

Running Chrome under XP,

Norman

I will keep it in mind - trying to find a good balance of not having to many navigation tabs but make it obvious.

There are other skins / themes each has it's own styles that put the menu and search areas in different position, one of these may suffice for the interim.

This topic is 4790 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.