Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Won't import from tab file - certain fields only

This topic is 4704 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All

My office is currently migrating to FM11 from FM6. We've converted the files and are busy fixing issues that have arisen due to the conversion - mostly adding commit records script steps!

However we seem to come up against a rather strange problem with a number of files... When importing from text files we are finding that certain fields are not importing at all - its always the same fields.

E.g. In our stock file we import from a .tab file to update the system with deliveries that come in. However we're finding that the shipment date is not coming across... I've tried importing data from a clean FileMaker file into this field and it works fine however when you try to import from any tab file it won't...

One of my colleagues come up against this issue a while back and resolved it by completely rebuilding the table, however it's happened again!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or have any idea what's causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Vicky

• 2 weeks later...

Vicky

The obvious question is, are the fields you are importing INTO calculation fields?

You can't import into those. They are calculated.

If they are not calculations, then check the AutoEnter options on these fields.

Maybe you are importing the data and have the 'Perform Auto Enter' check box selected.

In this case, the auto enter option on those fields could be overriding whatever data you are importing.

Good Luck and Let us know how it turns out!

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks for you help Jerry, but that's not it. Was the first thing I checked...

The field it won't import is Invoice No. However while testing I created another field InvoiceNo_TEST and tried importing into that field - also didn't work... I might point out at this point that if I leave dialog on for the import I can see the values for Invoice No from the tab file I am importing however when I import - nada in the field...

What's even more interesting is if I duplicate the table to create an exact replica and then try importing into that table it works.....???

One of my colleagues put this down to corruption so attempted to fix the issue by rebuilding the table and all the links to and from it. This worked... For a while... And then the problem started again!

Should I put this down to file level corruption, cut my losses now and start rebuilding files?

Or is there possibly a much simpler cause of this behaviour?

Please help, this is driving me mad!

Vicky

x

Your first post mentioned a tab file and a date field that works importing from FileMaker but not from text. My first thought was that you might have file type "all files" selected rather than "tab-separated". This will cause problems if there are any commas in the text. Always choose "tab-separated" rather than "all" if that's the kind of file it is.

In your last post you said that it fails importing to an invoice number field. Are there any validations set on this field? That would be pretty common for a key field. If the validation is set to "always" try changing it to "only during data entry."

This topic is 4704 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.