Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Window 7 and Open url script

This topic is 4677 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Not sure if this is the right forum. I apologize if it’s not. We developed an in house solution that creates and updates records on a website that uses php and MySQL. We know little about php, MySQL or website development and the company that developed our site knows little about FM. But working together we came up with a solution that allowed us to create and update records on our website using the open url script step. This has worked beautifully for over 6 years with XP OS. But we are starting to replace some of our computers with newer Windows 7 OS and the same script will not work. Of course the website developer claims everything is working correctly on his in and the problem is with Windows 7 and/or Filemaker, which may be the case.

We are using FM9, Windows 7 professional , IE8, and MS Security Essentials for our AV. We concatenate a web link (www.organization.com/admin/submitphp?) with a field identifier plus the field data. We then upload the concatenated field using the open url script step. Works great with XP. Below is a sample part of the field calculation. There is actually about 25 fields of data. When we want to update an existing record from FM we used the same calculation but substitute “/update.php?” for “/submit.php?”.

"www.organization.com/admin/submit.php?" &

"u" & "=" & MasterID & "&" &

"fn" & "=" & FName & "&" &

"mn" & "=" & MName & "&" &

"ln" & "=" & LName …….etc.

When we call the script in Windows 7 the screen flashes but nothing happens, not even an error from FM. BTW, I tried using Fire Fox and Chrome. Same result. I’m guessing it has something to do with the heighten security built into Window 7. I did check to be sure FM was allowed through the firewall. I don’t know what else to do at this point. I’m hoping someone might offer some suggestions. I appreciate any help.

OK. I think I have found the problem (not the solution). I have determined that the number of characters that can be uploaded to the browser’s address bar by the Open url script with Windows 7 has been reduced. I don’t know why but the same script in XP will upload the url limit in IE8 (2048 ?? characters). But the number is far less with Windows 7. If I upload about half the characters in 7 it works. Why would this change with Windows 7 and is there a way to make some kind of adjustment? I appreciate any insight.

This topic is 4677 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.