Newbie question

This topic is 8400 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi, apologies if this topic has already been covered.

All I want to know is this;

Is is possible to create a relational database with FM5 on a Mac and use that database on a PC or Unix Web-Server that's running MySQL to serve up dynamically created web pages?

Basically what I want to do is create a database directory of Businesses, categorise them and make a web page that allows the user to either display a category page with all relevant businesses or search by Business name and display the results on a new page.

Also, each entry should be able to have options for web and email links plus "more information" that brings up another web page (these might not necessarily have to be dynamically created)

Can FM help me to create the database I need and can I then use this on my ISP's servers that run MySQL?

Or, do I have to buy a PC and make a MySQL database on the PC with MSAccess or similar?

Any help or pointers greatly appreciated :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Your issue can be broken down in three levels:

You want access through a web browser. Immediately it doesn't matter which platform runs the browser. (Mac, PC, Unix). that's easy enough.

You need a translator to talk to a database: MySQL, CDML.

You need a datasource: Filemaker Pro, Access...

The first question that I'd have is it sounds like you're putting your Mac filemaker files on a PC to serve as the datasource. You may need PC format filemaker files, if your server is a PC. Assuming that that's covered off...

Filemaker speaks a common database language called ODBC. You should be able to embed SQL queries in your web pages, talk to the ODBC driver on your server, which in turn talks to the Filemaker pro database. The name of the driver on the PC is something like ODBC32.dll or something as memorable.

If you're feeling adventurous, forget about MySQL, and use CDML (Claris Dynamic Markup Language) calls in your html to talk to the filemaker database directly. You won't have to worry about SQL or ODBC.

Hope this helps.

LS

quote:

Originally posted by driven:

The first question that I'd have is it sounds like you're putting your Mac filemaker files on a PC to serve as the datasource. You may need PC format filemaker files, if your server is a PC. Assuming that that's covered off...

FileMaker databases are Binary compatible between Mac and PC. I do not know if that will be the same with native MacX FM and Linux.

This topic is 8400 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.