Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Alternatives to FileMaker Go for native iPad app?

This topic is 4608 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello esteemed experts! :-)

I am a relative newbie to FileMaker, but a database expert (in general) with other similar products. I was turned on to FM by a client who showed me a database of theirs running on their iPad using FileMaker Go, and I was very impressed. Since then, I have been investigating FM quite a bit for possible future projects.

One knowledge area where I feel I'm lacking is that there appears to be a way to create a standalone iPad app around a FileMaker database, without requiring the purchase of FileMaker Go. Yet when I search for this technique/option, I keep striking out. I feel like my inexperience with FileMaker is resulting in me asking the wrong questions; as if I would only phrase the question correctly, then I'd find the tools/products/approach I'm looking for. Hence my question here.

From what I've been able to google and read about in these forums, there are four ways to get a FM database onto the iPad:

1) Online connection (requires an internet connection) to a FM Server-hosted FM database

2) Buy and install FM Go on the iPad, then transfer my FM database to the iPad and use it there

3) Buy and install FMTouch on the iPad, then transfer my FM database to the iPad and use it there

4) Use FMTouch Enterprise to convert my FM database into a standaloneiPad app

#1 isn't going to work for my customers because they will frequently be using it in situations where no internet connection exists. Syncing is a pain and hassle, besides.

#2 isn't going to work because of the cost. My iPad database/app will be priced at $0.99, and I can't ask my customers to pay an additional $39 just to use it. The typical customer demographic for this app probably never spent over $4.99 for any app, and having them purchase FM Go would kill it. AND, I really would prefer my app to be standalone. I.e., they download it from the app store and it works, just like any other native iPad app. No other apps required to use it, no other installation instructions needed, no need to launch FM Go, etc. My customers for this product would typically find multiple downloads to be confusing.

#3 might be okay ($7 versus $39 is much more reasonable), but it has some limitations, and again, I would like it to be a standalone iPad app.

#4 appears to be "the solution" to my question, but it's very very pricey. I would have to sell quite a few apps to recoup my costs with FMTouch Enterprise.

So, is there another option out there? I'm thinking there must be, because I know of two apps that are FM databases, running as native iPad apps, and they are being sold for free. I can't imagine someone using option #4 above to give away an app for free... Somehow, at least two iPad apps out there are fully-functioning standalone apps which have a FM database inside. How are they doing that?

If anyone could enlighten me as to other options out there, I would sincerely appreciate it. FM Go is ultimately the right platform choice, but they way it is currently priced and used, this would not work for my customers.

(I'm sure some of you will suggest writing a native xcode app; that is happening right now, but I wanted to see if this was a better option before continuing...)

Thanks!

Bruce

#2 isn't going to work because of the cost. My iPad database/app will be priced at $0.99, and I can't ask my customers to pay an additional $39 just to use it.

Note that the licensing for all iPad and iPhone apps (including FM Go) allows a single purchase to be synched to 5 devices.

ATM there is no way to make a "stand-alone" app.

• Newbies

Note that the licensing for all iPad and iPhone apps (including FM Go) allows a single purchase to be synched to 5 devices.

ATM there is no way to make a "stand-alone" app.

Thanks Vaughan. Allowing FMGo to be put on five apps wouldn't help anyhow, because the customers will all be geographically and functionally distributed. Besides, I wouldn't feel good about that workaround. ;-)

I'm bummed. I think you're completely right: there is no way to create a standalone FM database app. I have posted in some other forums and gotten the same kind of responses. The FM Touch Forums are almost completely dead -- no responses from the FM Touch guys in ages, and the FM Touch app is now almost a year out of date with known bugs. FM Go continues to be too expensive for mass use.

I believe this path (to create a standalone iPad app based on FM) is a dead end, and I'll probably just give up on using FileMaker.

Thanks for your reply!

Bruce

I have somewhat the same dilemma as you do and am currently testing the vApp service via Worldcloud Filemaker server hosting service. It provides a 12k remote desktop connection client to reach the host. I would assume you could do the same to your own server.

Thus far the RDC from my desktop to the host is very snappy, But like you, I want to access the host directly from an iPad without using Go. I've been told that the free "2X" RDP client available from the App store will work and just downloaded that yesterday and am in the process of how to configure 2X to achieve the connection. Thus far I've been unsuccessful; however I just started trying to connect today.

2X It defaults to port 3389. Could that be why I am unable to connect. What should the port be?

This topic is 4608 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.