From MS Access to FileMaker

t84a

This topic is 4560 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm looking to migrate to Mac. My business uses 2 databases: one in MS Access 2.0 and the other in MS Access 2007. I'd like to combine the two into a new one in FileMaker. I would like to do the development in the Windows version of FileMaker and then cut over to the Mac version. I'm not sure if there is a utility to convert from MS Access to FileMaker. Contact me at [email protected] and let me know what your thoughts are with respect to the complexity. I need to continue to be able to integrate with MS Word and MS Excel. Thanks

Ken

Hello, ken

Where are you?

There is no way to "convert" from Access to FMP. The data can be exported from Access and imported into FMP but that's not where the work is any way. My suggestion is to do an analysis and re-build a new solution from scratch -- no choice really.

As for integrating with Word and Excel -- why? It is far better to do as much as possible in FMP natively.

btw, FileMaker is x-plat. That is, there is no conversion between Windows and Mac. In fact, a served FM file can be accessed by both Windows and MacOS clients concurrently.

My suggestion, use FMI's website to find a certified consult near you.

My suggestion, use FMI's website to find a certified consult near you.

... or FM Pug's website or this website or Cafe's website ... or use any one of the great developers who are NOT certified but can blow the socks off those that are, such as Comment.

Sorry to be a bit pedantic but I think that

... or FM Pug's website or this website or Cafe's website ... or use any one of the great developers who are NOT certified but can blow the socks off those that are, such as Comment.

should be

... or FM Pug's website or this website or Cafe's website ... or use any one of the great developers who are NOT certified, such as Comment, but can blow the socks off those that are.

(I am assuming that comment is not certified)

Thanks for the replies. I'm in Maryland. I really need to get away from Access 2.0 because I don't think it will run on Windows7 or any new Windows OS. FileMaker also gives me the flexibility to get a Mac. I think whoever I select will also have to have experience in Access because a lot of development time can be saved by reviewing my existing databases. I have no problem developing a new database in Filemaker but don't see a lot of value spending time and money educating a consultant in my business and process flows. This can be efficiently accomplished by navigating the existing databases.

Thanks for the grammar correction! :)

I can only glance to the left but that only means they have not listed it and I don't know who is or isn't other than that ... and I personally don't care. I was responding based upon limited suggestion of hiring someone from "FMI's website to find a certified consult" when there are also other FM websites which post 'developers available' and there are also many great Developers who are not certified (or do not post their certifications).

My purpose was only to expand options that Ken might consider. FMIs website only shows certifications if FBA or higher businesses.

I really don't care if the person is certified or not. My guess is that my requirements are pretty basic. In fact, I did the Access 2007 work and I have no experience. The challenge will be the Access 2.0 part.

@LaRetta - Whoa! I did not wish to imply that only certified developers were worthwhile. I spent 20 yrs doing this "uncertified." However, I feel that I can only recommend a certified developer, as I do feel that guarantees a certain level of knowledge. If I knew an uncertified developer (and I do) that I felt comfortable recommending, I would do so. However, starting at the FMI site makes sense to me.

@LaRetta - Whoa! I did not wish to imply that only certified developers were worthwhile.

LOL, I was not implying any such thing. We've known each other far too long for that. You said, "use FMI's website to find a certified consult near you."

Since FMI's website only lists the 250+ FBA businesses (who also have more than one certified developer on staff), I felt Ken should know that it was not the only source to find great Developers, certified or not. Forums have places for businesses to post their jobs and for developers to respond; such as this one we are in - Services Wanted, where Ken posted. I figure these forums are put here so that people can find Developers?

If the FMI website listed ALL certified Developers then I might recommend people check there (as ONE alternative if certification is important). The FBA businesses have their own vendor (FMI) advertising them on the FMI website; I was 'advertising' the other 100,000 (?) or so qualified (certified or not) Developers. :thumbsup:

corrected typo 'to' - 'too'

Please just post back to this thread if your reply has anything to do with thread.

If you have any questions about this request, please contact me via the Private Message tool.

TIA

Lee

This topic is 4560 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.