Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Creating a Runtime - File Link Issue

cherrybomb

This topic is 4522 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello All,

This is my first time creating a runtime so I am quite the novice. I am using Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.

What i had to begin with was about 10-12 filemaker 3 files (some aptly named .old and others without an extension at all) that I converted to the .fp7 format. I now want to create a runtime exe that will allow me to run the converted files.

I do so but then when I try to run the executable it is saying it cannot find mainmenu.old. That doesnt make sense since I converted all the files to the .fp7 format.

Is there some hardcoding of the old filenames held somewhere? If so, where is it held and where can I go to update the file references to point to the new names.

At what point in the process would i update this: prior to building the runtime with the .fp7 names or after when the are .USR?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need any more info from me that I might have left out.

Thank you

Did the converted program run in FMP 10 before you created the runtime? That is where you would resolve path and relationship errors. Odds are you have a script that still calls mainmenu.old. After it runs in Filemaker you can compile it into a runtime.

So are you saying then that I should try to run the program in FMP 10? By that, do you mean opening up mainmenu.fp7, and all the other converted files? If I was to open up mainmenu.fp7, it will then say that it cannot find clients.old. Do i then direct it to client.fp7? Will that resolve the file linking issue? Just by opening it up? Or do I have to save anything?

Is there any way to actually physically see the file linking thats occurring and manually change it?

First, open File->Manage->External Data Sources and make sure that all your .fp7 files are listed there.

Then open File->Manage->Database->Relationships and search the diagram for external links. Since you are converting from Filemaker 3, they should be easy to identify. Make the appropriate changes to the applicable .fp7 files

Since you have Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced, you can open the Script Debugger (in the Tools menu). This opens a separate window that allows you to step through each script one step at a time, or, in your case, you can make it run until it stops at an error. You can then open the script using the Manage Scripts and make the changes. Get more information about these tools in Filemaker Help. If you run into further problems, sing out.

Doughemi,

I tried as you said and got caught up on the first piece. I opened up mainmenu.fp7, one of my 13 .fp7 files to view the external data sources. Once in there, I saw a list about 40 long referencing old File Path's. Some of them were duplicated multiple times such as Order2, Order 3, Order 4. Not a single reference existed to other fp7 files.

What should i do here? Should i go into each one of the 40 references and update/append the path to the new location and iterate through this for all 13 fp7 files?

Sorry for the newbie questions but, then again, thats why I am a newbie :)

Thank you very much for the help thus far

I would clean 'em all out and start fresh with your 13 current files. You also should start with the file that you first open when you run the solution (probably mainmenu, but you never know). These are not file references, they are merely the paths where Filemaker will try to find the references. It will definitely not solve your problem by itself.

Although, really, you should consider bringing in all 13 into separate tables in one file.

Why don't you zip your mainmenu file and post it?

So i replaced all the old paths with the new ones and saved. I checked in Database --> References and see that it now no longer is referencing a missing file.

What i dont understand is when i compile the runtime and run it, it says "main menu cannot be opened (not found)" and then prompts me to find it. I look in external data sources and everything is showing as i last saved it with the correct file links.

What is going on?

There is no sense in trying to compile a runtime until the solution runs in FM 10.

As I see it, the solution in FM3 created multiple relationships between the various files. When FM10 tried to convert it, it had to rename these multiple relationships in order to create a relationship graph. Just the opening script calls scripts in 14 other files. This complexity is due to the limitations of FM3. I'm not sure that the relationships can be rebuilt without opening and inspecting the FM3 files in FM3.

You can try to rename your recovered files to match the original file names, but after that, this is way above my skill set, and I don't believe that it is a project that a beginner should try to tackle. My guess is that a professional developer would advise you to rebuild the solution from scratch.

Hi steve,

I started to reply to your post about the process of upgrading or migrating your files to version 10. Initially, I did not download your file because of the file being password protected.

However, after reading Doug's reply, I decided to see if I could point you in a direction that would help you.

Imagine my surprise when I opened up the files and discovered that they were copyrighted. The Forum does not allow copyrighted materials to be posted in this manner.

You need to read your License Agreement with Shopkeeper System. The Second paragraph Specifically addresses modification and reverse engineering of their files.

IMHO, you need to contact the Shopkeepers Systems about your rights in working with these files.

BTW, I did a search in Google for their names, the author and the company, and was not successful. However you may have more information in your records about these two things. In any event, the Forum cannot help you Reverse Engineer the files, without a legal written authorization from the company, or its legal representative.

Lee

This topic is 4522 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.