Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Flaw Security in FM11 Accounts/Passwords Security?

This topic is 4470 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I use FM 11 Pro Advance to develop FM-based databases.

One of my greatest concerns is how easily the Accounts / Passwords of FM-based databases can be unlocked with applications like: "FileMaker Password Recovery".

Here I am not talking about being an expert hacker and using aby "brute force" approach. Just get the application and you can unlock an Account/Password protected FM-based database.

Maybe I am missing something and there is a way to prevent the "FileMaker Password Recovery" application from figuring out Accounts, Passwords and enabling you to modify the passwords and have FULL access to an FM-based database.

If there is a way to assure that FM Accounts / Passwords do what they are supposed to do, I would appreciate some feedback from FMForums Security experts.

Thanks,

natursalus

Use the Developer Tool in FIleMaker Pro Advanced to remove the [Full Access] Accounts. That will give you added protection. BTW, such programs do not extract passwords from FileMaker Pro files, inasmuch as there are no passwords stored in these files.

Steven

Hello Steven,

Thank you for answering such a "scary" question. Not everybody is willing to talk about it.

Please, correct me if I am wrong, but

Use the Developer Tool in FIleMaker Pro Advanced to remove the [Full Access] Accounts. That will give you added protection.

This would be for creating a runtime solution out of a database, right?

But since runtimes have so many limitations, a runtime is not a valid option for my purposes.

So, what happens with just a database? Can I do the same for databases?

BTW, such programs do not extract passwords from FileMaker Pro files, inasmuch as there are no passwords stored in these files.

No clue about what these programs do, other than by passing FM account/password protection

From your answer and the suspicious silence gathered in other FM forums I am getting the following message: FM account/password security is an illusion!

Thanks,

natursalus

From your answer and the suspicious silence gathered in other FM forums I am getting the following message: FM account/password security is an illusion!

I think that's a false conclusion. Credentials security is just one aspect of security. The key however is that if people can get their hands on your physical files, there are tools that can strip out and replace existing pw. Those tools do not work on hosted files.

The same applies to other file formats like Access databases, Excel, Word, etc.

In the land of databases Access and FM are in a bit of a unique position vs say MySQL, SQL Server, and so on. For those other "hosted-only" databases it is typically much harder to get your hands on the databases themselves. Whereas for FM, if you distribute for non-hosted deployment then it is easier.

As was mentioned before, use the dev tools to strip out full access before you deploy. If you do deploy to a hosted environment, make sure to pay attention to access to the server OS, the backup locations, etc.

As Wim hinted, the password breakers work by replacing a section of your file with their own version. This enables them to assign their own accounts/passwords to the existing privilege sets. AFAIK, they do not create new privilege sets or modify existing ones - that's why removing [Full Access] accounts "will give you added protection".

That's not to say that this is not a horrible flaw in security - esp. the security of your (or your users) data. You may notice that if you open your file in a text editor and change anything in it, Filemaker will detect the tampering and refuse to open the file. However, the hacking applications are able to bypass this anti-tampering device. I believe this is something FMI could have prevented rather easily - and hopefully will in the next file format change.

• 4 weeks later...

Thread resurrection.

Could someone elaborate on what tools exactly are involved in removing the Full Access accounts? And pardon my ignorance, but once those are removed, is there still any way to edit the database structure afterwards?

Could you tell me where exactly it has to be performed in FileMaker? The Manage/Security... dialog will always respond with "There are no active FileMaker accounts that use the Full Access privilege set. There must be one account like this. Create a new account or modify an existing account to use the Full Access privilege set."

FileMaker Pro Advanced: Tools menu, Developer Utilities... command.

In the Developer Utilities window, add the file to the list of Solution Files. Then under Solution Options click the Specify... button.

The file will need active accounts that are assigned to a privilege set other then Full Access. This is because the option will delete the Full Access privilege set and all associated accounts from the file.

This topic is 4470 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.