Server Maintenance This Week. ×

converting old version to FM 11 with several databases

This topic is 4424 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am currently upgrading about 20 relational databases created with FM 6 (.fp5 file) to FM 11. The databases all have 20+ scripts in each plus relationships. The current version uses one or two databases, then uses all the others as lookups or tables.

Is there a benefit of combing all these separate files into one single file with several tables? The database currently works, needing a few minor tweaks here and there. But, in the long run, would it be best to combine them?

Thanks for your suggestions!

I am currently upgrading about 20 relational databases created with FM 6 (.fp5 file) to FM 11.

Hi Nihad and welcome to the FM forums,

Please update your profile to reflect the operating system, version of FileMaker, and platform you are using. To do this, click on the little down arrow button next to your name and icon in the upper right-hand part of your screen. Select My profile. This will give you your profile information and if you look to the right you'll see a big black buttons that states edit my profile. The FileMaker information is towards the bottom of the page, be sure to save the information.

This profile information is often needed by us to give you a better solution to your questions.

Lee

Is there a benefit of combing all these separate files into one single file with several tables? The database currently works, needing a few minor tweaks here and there. But, in the long run, would it be best to combine them?

The short answer is there is no technical advantage that I've ever seen. The company I'm with converted from V6 to V7 (which is the same process as what you did) several years ago, but have never been able to consolidate tables and files as we planned. We've added additional NEW tables to files as time has moved on, though.

If you're hosting these files using the Server software, then there is a maximum 125 file limit. This might be a compelling reason to consolidate, if you were getting close to that limit before.

I would advise to take the time to consolidate if you can. While it doesn't give any clear technical advantage, it certainly can make it easier to maintain and to keep your sanity to try and find something in the future. This requires careful planning before proceeding, though. Which seems rather ironic that I would say this considering what I metioned previously, but that's a management decision on my company's part that I have no control over :mad:

• Newbies

Thank you Brent. I was able to consolidate all the separate databases into one database and many tables, but the old relationships did not follow. And ther are ALOT of relationships. Do you know of an easy way of importing the relationships?

I am guessing that you didn't read the migration papers available at FileMaker site?

If not, here's the link. http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5385/~/upgrading-to-filemaker-9%3A-migrating-from-filemaker-pro-6-or-earlier-solutions

Converting FileMaker databases from previous versions” has a section in it titled “Converted Relationship” that should be of interest to you.

Lee

This topic is 4424 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.