Suggestions for Serving Database on WEB

This topic is 8399 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

You have many different options and considerations to take into effect. Here are some that pop into my mind:

1. Is you DSL fast enough to serve directly as a web server? Most common DSL is ADSL and only serves out a stream at 128Kbs. This is probably only fast enough for low traffic sites. Also, it is best to have a static IP, perhaps your ISP does not want you serving a site, hence the dynamic IP address on your account.

2. If you are familiar with DreamWeaver, you may want to look in to Lasso, they make a DreamWeaver plug in module that will help you quickly generate dynamic format pages to use with FileMaker.

3. You may want to have the whole thing hosted at an ISP that specializes in FMP like Digital Forest (www.digitalforest.com), I've been using them for about 2 years with lots of luck. However, this does mean that you need to upload the whole DB with changes unless you make yourself a web enabled interface to make your data entry changes. If you change DB structure, you need to re-upload the whole thing.

4. You do need an FMP specific server. To my knowledge, you cannot have a remote server "pull" info off of your home computer.

All data changes you or users make online are instantly reflected in the DB.

I hope this helps,

Cael.

This topic is 8399 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.