Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Double quotes in applescript - do shell script

This topic is 4379 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am sorry if this has been posted already. But the search system would not let me use those words.

I am trying to enclose double quotes in a "send apple script", script.

Here is my script.

"¶tell application "& """ & "Finder" & """ & "¶set myTest to do shell script "& """ &"md5 -q "& """ & "/Volumes/Extended/tmp/" & Duplicates::Filename & """ &"¶end tell ¶tell application "& """ &"FileMaker Pro Advanced"& """ &"¶set cell "& """ &"Duplicates::MD5"& """ &" of current record to myTest¶end tell"

"Duplicates::Filename" contains single quotes within the field, so I am unsure how to get that across to the terminal app.

Quoting problems are exactly why I don't suggest ever using that approach.

Use a script to move the data to global fields and then use Perform applescript command instead, something like this.

The purpose of using global fields is that you can use a table reference, you do not need to refer to a layout or current record.

Also, the "herestring" operator "<<<" means you don't have to actually write out the data to a file on disk.

set cellname1 to "zASData"

set cellname2 to "zASResult"

set tableName1 to "Gtest"

get data cell cellname1 of table tableName1

set mydata to result

set cmd to "md5 -q <<< " & quoted form of myData

do shell script cmd

copy result to cell cellname2 of table tableName1

BruceR,

Okay, I had a chance to implement the new applescript, but I noticed a problem... The here-string is generating the md5 for the actual text within myData, but myData refers to a file location and name that needs to be evaluated by md5.

for example myData = /Volumes/Extended/tmp/_Alice's Restaurant Original Version.mp3 I want to evaluate that file not the text.

Could you please help?

Thanks again.

I figured it out. I have never used the here-string before and looked it up. I just removed it from the calculation and that solved the problem. Thanks again!!!

Thomas

This topic is 4379 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.