setting up system level scripts (OSX or Windows)

This topic is 4389 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm stepping into the realm of running system level scripts on OSX and/or Windows servers and I don't know what I'm doing.

I'm trying rename a timestamped backup folder to a standard name. I don't know enough to write the batch script or the shell script (would like to be able to run this on either platform), nor how to set them up so Server sees them to run on a Schedule.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,

David

I doubt you'll be able to write system level scripts that will run cross-platform. Mac OS X is Unix based. Windows I don't know. The shell scripts or bash stuff I've written is Mac only. I only write for my own business and I use Macs so it's not an issue for me.

The batch files / VBscripts on Windows and the shell scripts on Mac need to be put in the FMS "scripts" folder. That way you will be able to pick them when you set up a schedule. Keep in mind that on OSX you need to set the privileges correctly, owner must be fmserver, group must be fmsadmin.

Also keep in mind (both platforms) that if the scripts do something that the default FMS account has no rights to, the script will fail (like copying a file to a network share). You have the option to provide an alternate OS account to run the scripts under.

This topic is 4389 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.