This topic is 3622 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Here is a demo of conditional value lists using FMP12 and ExecuteSQL. In the demo there is one sample of using straight text and another using IDs instead of the text.

There are no relationships between the user interface and the tables of values.

ConditionalVL_SQL.zip

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

very helpful. thanks! Just what I've been thinking of doing. Quick question... what if (to use your example) you have a President without a State? How would you make this work if your data included intentional blanks?

I would include a <no state> option possibly, but perhaps I would also question the structure in that case.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry that's a bit too vague for me.

- so your saying it's a merge variable ... great

- I've moved it to reveal the combination of merge variable and underlying "T1", "T2" etc field

- but there is nothing that I can see that assigns these variables with a value

there is nothing that I can see that assigns these variables with a value

On the top of the layout ID_Example, the text box 'Set display variables' holds a Let() statement within the conditional format. This is where those merge variables are set. No script needed. :^)

OK I'm missing one final bit.

Something is causing the layout to update when I release the dropdown. I physically have to click somewhere on the layout to force the same effect. I have looked in scripts, field set, and layout but can't see whats causing this

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks, Lee. Maybe I'll PM him. His file works when opened in FM13 for me too, but my implementation does't. Perhaps I'm missing a checkbox somewhere. However, I might change over to a virtual list, as I do not like to incorporate unsupported "features."

and..the stupid thing I missed - creating records in the utility table! All good now. Great technique, it allows me to have a portal of item and value, where each portal row's value field can have a different set of choices in its value list, depending on the item_id. Very cool!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.