Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Initiate a Backup on Server from FileMaker Pro client

This topic is 4325 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Firstly apologies if this has already been covered (I'm sure it has but I'll be damned if I can find it!).

What is the easiest and cleanest way of initiating a backup of a FileMaker Server based database from FileMaker Pro. I just want the user to be able to click a button on a layout which then backups the files, preferably without using plug-ins.

I know I could do this through an event or vb script or bak file perhaps with a timer etc. but is there a cleaner way of initiating this through FileMaker Pro.

Cheers in advance.

If the file is hosted with FM Server there is NO WAY to initiate a backup through except FM Server Remote Administration tool.

It cannot be done with vb script or anything else. It cannot be done.

Nothing motivates me as much as hearing that statement ;-)

As Stephen points out, AdminAnywhere can do this. If you'd like, we can repackage this functionality as a plug-in that can be triggered from within FileMaker Pro. Contact me if you'd like an estimate for this.

Ah, but it can... you could have the user log the request in a FM table and a server-side script script sequence would monitor the request and run a batch file or vbscript on the server that runs the backup through the fmsadmin command line.

• 2 weeks later...

I am surprised this has not been requested before. My client wants engineers to be able to sync their laptops every time they return to the office and then go back out into the field with a complete system. I could setup lots of update scripts but it strikes me the most efficient way is to upload their changes, then take a complete backup of the system - why make it complicated?

Thanks to you all for your help. Jesse I will be in touch.

I am surprised this has not been requested before. My client wants engineers to be able to sync their laptops every time they return to the office and then go back out into the field with a complete system. I could setup lots of update scripts but it strikes me the most efficient way is to upload their changes, then take a complete backup of the system - why make it complicated?

Thanks to you all for your help. Jesse I will be in touch.

Kris, you beat me to it. Maverik, I think MirrorSync (http://360works.com/MirrorSync) is exactly what you're looking for. This is a much more efficient approach than scheduling server backups and copying the files to laptops.

• 4 weeks later...

This topic is 4325 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.