Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to create new portal row...

This topic is 1814 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

This has got to be simple, and I'm embarassed to ask this; but can't figure this out.

I want to create a script to create a new portal row/record.

I've tried Go to Object ; but that seems to just go the portal field that I named. From there I tried Create New Record, but that just creates a new Record in the contextual table.

Please any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you

I believe it's best to place the current parent's ID in a variable, go to a layout of the child table, create a new record and set its foreign key field with the variable.

From where will come the rest of the data for this record - assuming you don't want to create just an empty record?

• Like 1

Comment,

Thank you for your reply. I have considered that route; however, for my users because they are looking at populating an Estimate or Invoice, with several EstimateLines; I wanted to find a way that they are working from the actual Estimate/Invoice layout, as they will probably add several lines.

The data will be inputted following the methods (a "Select Window") described by Fenton in this post (a post which I think you might have recommended to others).

http://fmforums.com/...ment-something/

I will experiment with creating a simiar Estimate/Invoice layout but in the context of the EstimateLine table.

Or perhaps experiment with a script that will do all that work underneath...?

Thank you again. If you have any other thoughts, please let me know.

I have successfully got the script to get the various variables, back and forth between the Estimate and EstimateLine layouts, populating the fields they should be populating.

I think I'm going to go ahead with this unless anyone can warn me of something I don't know!

If I understand correctly, your script needs to:

1. Get the parent EstimateID into a variable;

2. Present the user a choice of items (in another window, if you prefer);

3. Get the selected ItemID into another variable;

4. Go to a layout of LineItems, create a new record and populate the two foreign key fields with the variables.

• 1 year later...

I want to create a script to create a new portal row/record.

I've tried Go to Object ; but that seems to just go the portal field that I named. From there I tried Create New Record, but that just creates a new Record in the contextual table.

I know this thread's a bit old now, but it may help others as I know it took a while for me to get this as I wanted  :yep: 

That was the right start… name your portal and use :

Go To Object ["MyPortalName"]

Then…

Go To Portal Row [Last] making sure that "allow creation of records" is checked in your relationship description.

You can then :

Set Field["MyPortalField"], and the record will be created.

You only need to show one portal row, if that suits you BUT

… make sure that "Show vertical scroll bar" is checked in your portal options, or else it doesn't work properly.

That last "gotcha" took me ages to pin down  :hmm:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

This topic is 1814 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.