Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Display related value in portal

Matt Malyschko

This topic is 4266 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I feel my problem is quite simple, but I cannot find a solution anywhere!

These are the tables I am working with:

Orders

OrdersLineItems

Items

The Orders table holds just basic data - OrderID, SuppliedID, Date... while all the actual details are added into the OrdersLineItems (through a portal).

In the OrderLineItems table I have an ItemID, which I have set to be a value list coming from the ItemID's in the Items table. This all works fine.

What I am looking for is to be able to have the value list to select the ItemID from the Items table, but instead of displaying the actual ID, I want it to display the 'Description' coming from the Items table. I know I can just add the Description field to the portal and it will display it correctly, but I am also looking to be able to edit the field via the description as I'd prefer to not display the ItemId at all...

Please help!! :D

stack your fields put the ID field under the description field make your description field mask the id field - when you want to select from the popup list have a button take you to the ID Field other wise you enter the description field.

stack your fields put the ID field under the description field make your description field mask the id field - when you want to select from the popup list have a button take you to the ID Field other wise you enter the description field.

i'm not quite sure what you mean

'make your description field mask the id field'?

If Matty uses a popup menu, he can add the description field as second field to the value list and use the option "Show values only from second field".

I think what you are describing is the workaround required when using a drop-down list.

If Matty uses a popup menu, he can add the description field as second field to the value list and use the option "Show values only from second field".

I think what you are describing is the workaround required when using a drop-down list.

Yeh I have this already and in the drop-down list it displays it, but I also want it to display the description after the value has been selected... (instead of the ID)

Yeh I have this already and in the drop-down list it displays it, but I also want it to display the description after the value has been selected... (instead of the ID)

Well, in that case simply implement Stephen's instructions … :evil:

Should you need some guidance, here's a quick sample:

DropDownMasking.fp7.zip

• Newbies

Hello!

PART ONE: MODIFY THE VALUE LIST

1. Open the Manage Value List window.

(On the menubar, click FILE > MANAGE > VALUE LISTS)

2. Select the value list that you already created. I am assuming that you named it something like 'Products'.

(Double click the value list to open it.)

IF you haven't already created a value list, go ahead and create one now by clicking the 'New' button, which is located on the bottom left area of the window.

3. Select the "Use values from field" radio button. Then click the 'Specify field' button.

4. This is where the magic happens!

Once presented with the "Specify Field for Value List" window, select the "Item" table from the "Use values from first field" drop-down-menu on the left portal.

EXPLANATION

So, to explain what you're doing here, you're instructing FileMaker which (field) values to use in the value list.

5. Select the "ItemID" field.

6. Click the "Also display values from the second field" checkbox located on the top right side of the window.

7. Select the "Description" field in the right portal.

IMPORTANT

8. There is a checkbox near the bottom of the window titled, "Show values only from the second field - check it. Once checked, FileMaker will only display the second field, which in this case is the "Description" field.

9. Click the "OK" button to save the changes to the "Specify Field for Value List".

Click the "OK" button to save the changes to the "Edit Value List".

Click the "OK" button to save the changes to editing the "Manage Value Lists".

PART TWO: MODIFY THE FIELD IN THE PORTAL

1. Enter LAYOUT mode.

2. Open the "Inspector" window.

(On the menubar, click VIEW > INSPECTOR)

3. Click the "Data" tab.

4. Select the "ItemID" field in the portal.

5. Locate the "Control style" in the "Field" section.

6. Select "Pop-Up Menu".

7. Enter BROWSE mode.

8. Test and enjoy!

I hope that helps!

Kevin, thanks a lot. Making it a pop-up menu, instead of a drop-down list fixed it completely!! :D

Well, in that case simply implement Stephen's instructions … :evil:

Should you need some guidance, here's a quick sample:

I see that this works, and I like how this looks as opposed to the pop-up menu, however, I don't understand how this works. The box is simply an edit box, and is not associated with any value lists or anything. I'm confused :sad:

Edit: ok I see that it is a script that simply goes to the record. Is it really that simple? I see that you created a value list Items_d... but what does this link to?

If you define the value list to 'Show values only from second field' then the ID will not be shown when selecting a value. However, if using a drop-down, the selected ID will be shown when clicking into the field. This is necessary because a drop-down is still editable. If you want to hide the IDs altogether, you must use a pop-up.

If you define the value list to 'Show values only from second field' then the ID will not be shown when selecting a value. However, if using a drop-down, the selected ID will be shown when clicking into the field. This is necessary because a drop-down is still editable. If you want to hide the IDs altogether, you must use a pop-up.

Fair enough. Yeh I changed them all to a pop-up menu!

Seems the solution was very simple... lol

This topic is 4266 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.