Server Maintenance This Week. ×

can't see the hosted file within the network....

markdesign

This topic is 8291 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is very odd....

I just created a new DB and set it for Multi user. But it is not showing up on certain computers...

Here is the scenario :

We have 11 computers networked to a server. At the moment only 8 of them are on. The weird thing is that only 5 of those computers can see the host of the file and can share. We own 7 copies of Filemaker and 6 of those computers have their own filemaker and rest share the last filemaker since they are hardly used, and they cannot simoultaneously be used.

But the computer i'm on can't see it. I checked everythig. All the computer has their own serial numbers (so nothing illegal.. hehe). They all have their own I.P. address (200.200.200.1 through 200.200.200.11), with same subnet 255.255.255.0

They also carry their second tcp/ip for the internet protocol but i doubt that has anything to do with it.

I tried reinstalling the filemaker, then I tried reinstalling it with another serial number. But it didnt help. I set up the networ, so I know they are all set up equally..

Is there anything else I missed or is it just me.....

[ August 06, 2001: Message edited by: markdesign ]

Well... if it does, I don't know why its interfering. Because all the other computers have the same set up. All 11 computers have their own static I.P. address for internets access provided by our ISP.

They also use subnet 255.255.255.40

Whats odd is that only 5 of the computer can see the hosted file. but the others can't

any other suggestion is much apprecited.

mark again.

Yes.. I tried both static I.P. and the intranet I.P. but they both show a blank in the host window.

The odd thing is that the other 5 computer that does not have a problem, it automatically opens. and if you click on Host, the files that can be shared can be seen.

There are 2 comptuer that are having the problems that can not see with the other 5. but the 2 that cannot see the other five can share fine together... and see each others hosted files. so i'm assuming i missed something, but i just cant find out what it is

confused... =(

yes .. they are all using the same subnet..

ARgggg!! this is so frustrating... I checked, and double checked everything. All the network setup is identical.. I don't the know where the problem is.

Oh wells, i guess this is one problem that cannot be fixed through the forum. Thanks for everyones input =)

M

Every trouble I have had with the network has been traced bak to the dial up tcp/ip protocol. If you have this on those two computers then uninstall the dial-up adapter. Get on your network and run FMP if you can see the host then open and have FMP bind with tcp/ip. Then you can install the dial up adapter if needed.

If you don't have dial up adapters on then check the routers or hubs etc. I would say that it is a network issue.

They are all running windows 98 se. and we have one file/printer server running windows 2000.

I called the company that set up our network, and they came over last night to see the problem. I told them the problem is that some of the filemaker cannot see the hosted files while others can. And that the problem is within the network.

They checked over all the settings and they told me that the setting were correct and that it was the filemaker software issue.

And they also charged me for the visit (those bastards...) =(

I definitely think that this is a router issue. Those 2 machines that can see each other, but not the other 5 are probably on a different router.

I'm guessing that the routers and/or hubs on your LAN are set up a little differently. They may be the same model, etc., but the BIOS may be a different version (router and hub makers are constantly revising their BIOS) and thereby operating slightly differently.

IT shops are very good at blaming FileMaker for network problems.

Well.. roger, i tried removing the dial up adapter and all adapter and reinstalling the tcp/ip adapter only, but that did not work... but

I tried pinging the other computer as george stated and it would not ping back!

The two computer that can see each others host can ping each other but can't ping the other 5 computers... and the 5 computers that can see each other FM host files can ping each other but can't ping the other 2 computers.

What does this mean?.. problems with my DSL ISP or as dykstrl said, problems with my hub.. (We only are using one hub OVISLINK ETHERNET HUB 16+)

I'm still open to suggestions... While I wait for some feedback on this post, i'm calling my ISP right now, then my IT shop

Much regards,

M

Are you using a single hub for both internal connections and an external connection with a firewall?

If you are running a firewall, make sure that IP ports 5003/tcp and 5003/udp, 2399/tcp and 2399/udp are open, both incoming and outgoing. These are the ports that FileMaker uses.

The other thing to check is that some hubs and routers re-assign internal TCP/IP addresses to connected computers that are different than the "addressed" IP address through the router (this is usually true for DSL/cable/hub combinations). I am not familiar with the hub you are using, but I have seen similar problems on some LINKSYS hubs.

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: dykstrl ]

We do not have a Firewall in our system.

I called "internetconnect" our DSL provider and they said they can ping all the computer from the HUB from their location. One thing he pointed out to me that was odd to him is that when he sent 5 packets, it comes back 10 packets. The technitian said that it was the weirdest thing he had ever seen and he nor his supervisor could figure out why. The only suggestion I got was check for computer virus or your LAN.

So I called back my IT and told him to come back to check out the LAN again, and i'm going to show them this tread after i print it out to prove that most people think the system fault is in the network.

Maybe the problem might be with the hub as dykstrl suggested.. or a conflict with our DSL provider... I'll post back if they find a solution in case this ever happens to you (probably not..) =P

M

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: markdesign ]

Interesting Problem, Just quickly are all machines using Windows Login at a user level and all under the same workgroup or Domain?

They are all using Client for microsoft networks to log in, using the same workgroup "sun" each computer names "station1" through "station8"

IT guys comming today at 4 pm, hope they can fix it... will reply to their solution.... =)

Arggg!!!!~~~~~

I am soooo stupid,

I checked everthing but the server settings. Turns out the subnet on the windows 2000 server was using 255.255.255.240 and all the workstations were using 255.255.255.40

It didnt occur to me to check the server because i thought there It was impossible to have a different setting and still have a working internet.

It is very odd the type of problem this caused due to this error. But honest... it wasn't my fault, the IT I hired to set up the network set it up this way....

So~~~ I changed all the subnet on all the workstations back to 255.255.255.240 and I now nolonger have any problems.

Hope this saves someone some valuable time... =P

M

This topic is 8291 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.