Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Signal light - Green, Yellow and Red

DPaquin
Go to solution Solved by LaRetta,

This topic is 4187 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is possible I am not posting this question at the right place.

Here is my situation.

My process starts with an AppleScript being executed when I insert a SD card in my MacBook Pro. The script executes and when situations arise a cell "statusSD" is being updated in the filemaker pro database accordingly.

In the meantime I've created a FileMaker Pro layout which is always showed on the screen. 

I would like to push this further. For example when the SD card is included I would like to have a button to appear with a different color as the script execution progress. For example, once the key is inserted in the computer I would like the button to show in red (i.e meaning the key is inserted in, do not remove). Once the job is completed the button would appear in green (i.e the key can be safely removed). Yellow would be used when errors during the process has been identified.

At the moment, the variable called "statusSD" is in my customized "FMP Preference" table.

Could someone direct me with material to read or examples I could use.

with regards!

Daniel

Add conditional formatting to the button. Add the 3 formulas as the condition:

statusSD = "key in" //button fill ->red

statusSD = "complete" //button fill ->green

statusSD = "error"//button fill->yellow

Thanks doughmi, I've looking on the internet and through my "FileMaker Pro - Bible" and the "Master the essentials of FileMaker 11" manuals for the correct syntax. Unfortunately, I have been out of luck.

Would anyone be able to provide with a link or the name of a manual for which I could have a better idea on how to write conditional formatting correctly.

Thanks!

Daniel

It's pretty simple, really.  Each condition is just a formula that evaluates to True or False. If it is True, then the format is changed to that statement's settings. It works just like  the argument in an If statement in a calc or script.

In the case of your example, at most one of the conditions can be true (the conditions are mutually exclusive), so it's a no-brainer.  

If more than one condition in a multi-condition statement is true, then the formatting applied is the formatting commanded by the last true statement.  For example, if the statements were:

MyField > 4

MyField > 2

MyField > 1

and MyField contains 3, the formatting applied to the field would be the last one.  The last true statement evaluated would control the formatting even though you expected the middle condition to apply.  To make this conditional format work correctly, you would have to change the order:

MyField > 1

MyField > 2

MyField > 4

This time, the second condition is the last true one, so the formatting is set as expected.

That's just about all there is to it.  HTH

• Like 1

Thanks doughmi again for the information. Sorry I was not clear, I do know how to write if then else conditions. However, I am trying to get to the right FMP function which allow to color fill based on a condition. When I right click on the button I see I am able to write the condition. However, I do not see any functions which perform a color fill. I am trying to get at the right wording. When I go on the Internet I search for "FileMaker Pro button color fill" and do not get any satisfactory result. With regards! Daniel

• Solution

Daniel, You do not right-click 'fill color' but instead select 'conditional formatting' and from there look below for "fill color". Look in FM Help for 'conditional formatting' ... THAT is the words to look for and not 'color fill' or 'fill color'. :-)

This topic is 4187 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.