Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Virtual Lists [Bruce Robertson]

Sandy Lynn

This topic is 4158 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using Bruce Robertson's virtual list technique to print long formatted documents.  

The problem is I cannot find anyway to get the indented paragraphs to stay indented.

The first line will indent just not the whole paragraph.  

I could not determine a tag for this from the getasCSS Filemaker function.

I tried setting the Format > Line Spacing > Other which does format the text in the edit box but when output via the virtual list is loses this format.

Setup like this in Filemaker edit box:

8. Financing Statement: CONSIGNEE agrees to sign and deliver to CONSIGNOR such financing statements, security agreements or continuation statements, in a form satisfactory to CONSIGNOR, as CONSIGNOR may from time to time reasonably request. CONSIGNOR may, at its expense, file the statements with the appropriate government agency.

Outputs like this is virtual list:

8. Financing Statement: CONSIGNEE agrees to sign and deliver to CONSIGNOR such financing statements, security agreements or continuation statements, in a form satisfactory to CONSIGNOR, as CONSIGNOR may from time to time reasonably request. CONSIGNOR may, at its expense, file the statements with the appropriate government agency. 

Has anyone else found a solution to this problem?

thanks for any help 

I suggest you post your file or simplified example.

The virtual list technique maintains the individual style including paragraph formatting of any source text. 

It is also possible to use the substitute function to copy styles from a style source field to the list content.

This can be used with any standard FileMaker text - it doesn't have to be a virtual list.

For instance: create a global text field called zStyle

type the word "style" into it (no quotes)

Now select all the text in this field and apply styles to it; say bold blue 24 point with tab stops.

Let's say you have another field "myContent_Field"

Then you can make a field "Styled_content",  calculation, text result:

substitute( TO::zStyle; "style"; myContent_Field)

The purpose is just to show that the substitute function can replace the text string in the field but retain the style information in the result.

This topic is 4158 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.