Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Int function calculation giving me a ? and a headache!

Go to solution Solved by doughemi,

This topic is 4144 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hey y'all!

I'm super new...very green if ya know what I mean, and I'm about to pull all of my hair out…  Oh please, one of you Filemaker Gods please help!

I've converted our business over to Filemaker from (don't laugh) Excel. There, I said it.  Any way, I didn't put it together originally, I'm just the cleanup crew.

So as much fun as I'm having with the relating tables thing (NOT!)(I'll be sure to come back and post more questions about that!!!), this calculation has me in a tizzy.  In fact, I was going to ride today, and vowed I would when I had this figured out…it's 3am…the neighbors (and my husband!) would hate me if I started her up this late…well that's assuming someone out there in Guru-land has the answer!

So the background is simply this: we promote canine Dock Jumping events across the US.  The company has been in biz for eight years so I'm hoping that I can use a similar formula (or function or calculation…pardon my newbie-ness!) that determines the "Bubble" score for each dog after each competition.

In a competition round, each dog takes 2 jumps, and we record the best jump of the two to the "Bubble", which gets updated throughout the entire event.  (We have to store both jumps btw)  A typical event can have average 8 rounds, and 50 dogs per round.

As it is in Excel, we have a box for feet, and one for inches.  Let's say in Round 1: Jump 1, Maximus jumps 26'9" for his first jump…we put a 26 in the "feet" box and a 9 in the "inches" box.  Round 1: Jump 2, he jumps 26'10"…we put a 26 in the "feet" box and a 10 in the "inches" box.  There is a background formula that converts both jumps to inches, then a simple MAX statement calculates the best of the 2.  Then as the event goes on, more scores are input and those high scores change periodically.  So say we have 6 rounds in the event, we have to take the best score from each round, then find the highest score out of those 6, and convert the inches to feet and inches, and stores it in a field called "bubble_score"…So Maximus' best score was the 26'10", so 322 is stored in "bubble_score".

In Excel, the formula I use to break it back down in the "feet" column (field name is "bubble_feet") that display's the correct feet is:

=int(bubble_score/12)

The formula I use in the "inches" column is:

=((bubble_score/12)-bubble_feet)*12

Which gives me a 26 and a 10… CORRECTAMUNDO!

Now in Filemaker, for "feet" I used:

Int ( bubble_score / 12 )

and it came out correct  - it shows a 26  (YEY!)  :grin:

But the inches…oh those darned inches… I used this formula:

Int ( ( bubble_score / 12 ) - ( bubble_feet * 12 ) )

And I get a -285   :sad:

MINUS 285????  And if I just put bubble_score / 12  -  bubble_feet * 12 (without the int and cheap parenthesis! LOL!) I get a ?…a question mark!  Story of my night…one big question mark!!!

I NEED A 10!

I know, I'm learning but geez, now it's almost 3am!!!

One word: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please and Thank you!!!

PS - Maximus really did jump 26'10" - he's 9 now, but back when he was about 5ish, that was his average.  He still kicks it with the over 21' crowd tho!

• Newbies

OMG...I feel, well, so blond!  I never tried DIV and MOD.  Worked like a charm!!!

Just in case anyone is curious of what the business exactly is, that my husband and I own, here is a photo of Maximus (my 9yr old Black Lab) that was in the NY Times a few months ago when we did an event on Staton Island...

Maximus-NYTimes-08-31-12.jpg

Carriage...HAHAHAHAHA!!!  While I love the analogy, my dogs prefer bumpers!!!

I would love to bake y'all some cookies, but I can't because my ride is waiting!!!

img_1021sm.jpg

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!!

This topic is 4144 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.