check box

madman411

This topic is 4107 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

i am using a portal row where the user can enter history for particular items. the portal row has a button for each record to open a new window where additional information (four fields) can be entered for that particular related record. i want to incorporate a non-user editable check box in to the portal row that will be checked if these additional fields contain values, and not checked when they're empty. what is the best way to do this? i'm assuming a single value must be auto entered in to the check box field using the IsEmpty function. is this a script trigger or calculation? that's needed?

i want to incorporate a non-user editable check box in to the portal row that will be checked if these additional fields contain values, and not checked when they're empty.

One way:

Create a single value list called Select with only a 1 in it.  Then a simple calculation should do it if Users never need to change that value contrary to your rules.  So calculation ( result is number) might be similar to:

GetAsBoolean ( Count ( field1 ; field2 ; field 3) )

Place the calculation on the layout, turn off entry to the field, attach the value list 'Select' to it and place it in the portal. :^)

Added ... the count works to check to see if the field is empty.  Since you want the checkmark if ANY fields have a value then counting them is easier to write and faster.  We use GetAsBoolean() so the number of count is change to 1 which matches the Select value list. And this calculation should be added to the portal's table.

Edited by LaRetta

One way:

Create a single value list called Select with only a 1 in it.  Then a simple calculation should do it if Users never need to change that value contrary to your rules.  So calculation ( result is number) might be similar to:

GetAsBoolean ( Count ( field1 ; field2 ; field 3) )

Place the calculation on the layout, turn off entry to the field, attach the value list 'Select' to it and place it in the portal. :^)

awesome! my calculation wasn't quite right - this made it work. thank you!

Actually you don't need a field or calculation at all now that I think about it.  And any time we can omit a calculation so much the better.   Please see attached.  A single typed character 'a' formatted as webdings does the job as well.  :^)

checkmark.zip

This topic is 4107 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.