Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 4074 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is it possible to format a field so that the field's font size changes downward (reduces) when the text is longer than the field size. The object is to allow the data to fit the field content and avoid a 'wrap'. Sometimes one only needs to drop down a size (12 pt to 10 pt say) for a text to fit. It would be a useful characteristic or option for field behavior. One wants to be able to set a minimum font size since dropping down to a 6pt or 4 pt font might not be a desirable outcome.

Thanks

Yes, but I'm wondering why you wouldn't just make the field larger to accommodate the data and save the look of your layout.

Try Length ( Self) > 50  or what ever make's it work for your field at full size.

I have created layouts (forms) that have the constraint of paper size. 95 times out of a 100 one enters data that fits the field but sometimes your client is called Bartholemew-David Eton-Hogg the First, and that field just isn't big enough at 12 pt font. So having the data automatically resize to 10 pt or the next size down that would accommodate the text rather than reformatting the layout or loosing data is ideal.

I do not understand what , Length ( Self) > 50  , does. I am really looking for conditional formatting. Something like,

If Length (Field) < Length Text string; Text Size = Current Field Text Size - 2 pt (or whatever size allows text to fit)

The nomenclature here is my own invention. 

I have the feeling this is really a feature Filemaker needs to program and not one to script. But perhaps I am wrong.

Here is a quick sample

Note that the field Length is temporary  (so you can see the number of characters in the text field that works for you.)

I used the formula above for the actual Conditional Formatting except I decreased the value from 50 to 30.

I replaced my example. I used the same text field with the difference being. The top one show the original approach.

The bottom one gives you the ability to increase or decrease the length so that you can have live feedback. I also added an Auto Enter (TextFormatRemove ( Self ) in case someone pasted in formatted text of a different style.

buckbuck.fp7.zip

Edited by Lee Smith
tried to make it easier to read
  • Like 1

Thanks for your idea. It is still not what I am looking for - I have 60 fields on my form and I do not see this solution being practical. Considering the nature of Filemaker, a database management and presentation application, my idea seems a good one and one I would like to see within Filemaker. Filemaker should create this functionality as a permanent formatting feature for a field.

When one creates a field, much as one ascribes a font, style and colour, one should be able to assign an text auto-fit function. The parameters being a minimum allowable reduction as generally one does not want a 4 pt font in a form document. We see this kind of functionality in negative numbers where a parenthese or colour change occurs automatically.

Regards

• Like 1

The neat thing about the Self is that the calculation can be used in any field or all fields. You can select the 60 fields and apply the Conditional Formatting across the board all in one swoop.

I don't agree with you at all on this being a negative, on the contrary, once you understand how the tools work, it isn't that big of a deal.

• Like 1

Why don't you try just stretching the fields using the field toggle handles on the inspector. That way, if you do happen to have Bartholomew whatsisname and the field is too small to display it, you can stretch the window and thus the field so that it can be viewed.

Just a thought.

This topic is 4074 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.