After Importing target table key fields don't update

This topic is 4079 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I can either export MyFile1  to a folder on the desktop and later import from MyFile2

or

I can directly import MyFile1 contents directly form MyFile2

I don't have any issues exporting to a folder on the desktop but whenever I import I run into the same issue:

records are imported correctly (correct number imported into the correct tables and fields) but the next value for the key fields of all the tables of MyFile2 that have imported records have as next value: 2

When I do the import there are no errors.

I have looked at the obvious:

Import script is standard

Target key field settings is standard

User privilege settings allow acceess to tables and records

Import options appropriate for what I want to achieve

Still I run into the same issue: After Importing target table key fields don't update

Where should I look to find out why the target key fields are not being updated?

So, the serial numbers are incrementing in the new records, but the Next Serial number is not updating? You need to go to last record and when you are there, use Set Next Serial to (thisID +1 ). See this demo.

Hello Barbara,

Thanks for looking into my question.

After comparing your two import scripts in your demos  I realized why I was having the issue reported in this forum:

I had: 

Go to Record/Request/Page [ First ] this came form your Import Table Data script from Upgrade Demo

instead of:

Go to Record/Request/Page [ Last ] as it is stated in your ss Import from Source script from Upgrade Import

I must say that your demos have kept me out of trouble many times and I am grateful for it.

Thanks,

natursalus

After trying to adapt your Upgrade Import demo to my project I managed to make it unworkable :hmm:

To find out what was going on I decided to debugg my project.

To avoid Privilege isues I opened my project with the admin account (full access) to see what was happening.

So the source file (hps0400.fp7) was on my PC desktop as well as the target file.

The only differences with respect to your Upgrade Import demo are:

• I am setting it up under Windows OS so the character set is Windows ANSI.
  •  
  • Just in case it matters, in the Import Record script I have a two lines FIle Path List:

$SourceFilePath
file:hps0400.fp7

While importing the source file is closed.

No issues or errors with the following scripts:

Upgrade Wizard Start script
Wizard 1 script
Wizard 2 script
AutoLocate and Verify Source File
Manual Locate and Verify Source File

The filepath for the source file is correct too.

But as soon as the Import Table Data script is run

For alll the target table primary key fields I am getting as value: Unrelated Table

When I set up the Import Records script step I first opened the source file and then the target table so that I could match their fields.

Then the Import Table Data  script moves to the first table: Appointment

When the script hits the Delete All Records script step I get error 3 (Command is unavailable (for example, wrong operating system, wrong mode, etc.)

When the script hits the Import Records script step I get error 714 (Password privileges do not allow the operation). What password privileges? I am running it with the admin account with full access!

When the script hits the Sort records script step I don't get any error.

When the script hits the Go to Record/Request/Page [First] script step I get error 101 (Record is missing)

The same pattern of errors repeats with the subsequent tables of the target file.

Of course the source records are not imported.

So all my problems are related to the Import Table Data script.

After trying to realte the errors to something that I do differently to the way you have setup yor Upgrade Import demo is that I am running my project with a Custom Menu that doesn't have some functions. For instace, the Deleet Records function is only available though scripting. Is this what is causing my troubles?

Thanks

Running with the admin accoun, Standard menu t and the Import Table script with full accessgave me the following:

For each table to be imported I got:

When the script hits the Delete All Records script step I get error 3 (Command is unavailable (for example, wrong operating system, wrong mode, etc.)

When the script hits the Import Records script step I get error 714 (Password privileges do not allow the operation). What password privileges? I am running it with the admin account with full access!

When the script hits the Sort records script step I don't get any error.

When the script hits the Go to Record/Request/Page [First] script step I get error 101 (Record is missing)

The same pattern of errors repeats with the subsequent tables of the target file.

Of course the source records are not imported

This is quite astonishing I am using the Admin account (full acess), using the Standard Menu and running the Import Table script with full access and still I get the error 714 (Password privileges do not allow the operation).

In order to isolate the "problem" I tried something different:

From the source table I exported all the records to a folder in the desktop as *mer files. Then, from the target table I imported all records  without any problem using a basic Import script with the absolute file path in it. In tis case, the Import script run flawlessly using a Custom Menu, from a  User account witha privilege set.

Unfortunately this is not sorting out the probable culprits of my problem:

Source file

Target file

Although I would say that the Import Table script has been exonerated since it woks when importing from *mer files.

At least I have found a way to import records from different versions of an application. But it keeps buging me not knowing why I can't import records the easy way (without previously exporting the records).

Thanks

It's hard to say what's going wrong. Can you post a sample file. Seems as if you are not on the proper layout when you import. You could uncheck the Run without Dialog option so that each import mapping dialog is shown. Then, you'll see if you are truly on the correct layout when you import.

Remember, when you are configuring the import step, you need to be on the proper destination layout, and right before the import step, you need a Go to Layout step.

Why not post your Attachment here. One of the reason to do it this way is that many of us are reluctant to download something from an unknown site where there is always the possibility of receiving unwanted communications in return.

The file has to be Zipped (compacted).

Once it is zipped, use the "More Reply Options and then use the button Choose File, find the file and select it, and then Attach this File and then Add Reply.

Choose it before you try to attach it. Notice the Buttons I mentioned. When the file is selected, it's name will appear beside the Choose, then you click on Attach File

Hello Lee,

Certainly I must be doing something wrong although I don't know what.

Anyhow this gave me extra time to fiddle with my file and make it work! :laugh2:

All my problems originated during the setting up process of the Import Records step. Once I figured out FMI way of setting it up, the Importing script worked without any problems.

This topic is 4079 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.