Export Records stripping out control characters

This topic is 4063 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have been running an export script for a long time. It goes over to a program that than imports the info. The problem has always been that even though we export as csv it does still have the control character 187 embedded. No matter what format I have tried.. so we search & replace to remove the characters. We are growing tired of this, we are working with Filemaker 11 but will be moving to 12 in the next couple months. I suppose I could create some kind of calculation that strips the control characters before exporting but it's a bit of a complex script that gathers all the information from various tables & puts them together in what our other program requires.

It just seems it should be easier........ any suggestions would be appreciated.

Caroline

P.S. I can upload a sample of the output

Couldn't you strip the character just after it's imported with something like

Set Field[FilteredInputField; Substitute(InputField; Char(187); "")]

before you start processing the data?

Here is a sample via a screen shot. This is the text file that is generated from Filemaker. You will see odd little symbols the way they appear in a simple text editor. When this document is opened in Word those symbols are manual end of line characters. I have tried exporting in every format Filemaker has, to no avail. And tried the variety of character sets.

As far as Doug's suggestion, stripping the characters before exported: Set Field[FilteredInputField; Substitute(InputField; Char(187); "")]. I like the idea, thank you but it doesn't seem that Filemaker sees that character. Or perhaps I just don't know how to direct it to.

post-65628-0-47476900-1365098293_thumb.p

From where is this data being imported?  In what format is it in it's native application (plain text, rtf, Word doc, something else)? Do you import it into one field or a number of fields?

My ASCII table says that char 187 is a box-drawing character.  Are you sure that is the correct code for the character you are seeing?

This topic is 4063 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.