Store Only Reference to File - Bog or Sail

This topic is 4041 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello FMF'ers

I'm asking your experienced opinion on if I should or if I should not... 

Create a table called history that stores only a reference to file on .pdf reports generated, bog or sail?

A little insight. The solution this would get worked into is shared between 5+ users and is located on a dedicated server.

Reporting scripts generate .pdf files and these reports are stored on the server along with the database.

So if I store a reference to these files in the database it would be easier for user to locate the desired .pdf reports vrs. going to server and looking through all reports.

We average about 1,000 Project records a year and 5-10 reports per project. So we're looking at about 5,000-10,000 .pdf's a year.

So my concern is, by setting this up I don't want the system to get bogged down and finally crippling to the point of un-useablility.

:thumbsup: I thank you in advance for any help/tips on this topic!

You should upgrade to FileMaker 12 to use Remote Containers - or you need SuperContainer with earlier versions this way end users don't have to have a mapped mounted volume to the referenced attachment.

Do you intend to have FMP the front end to the document hierarchy ONLY or ALSO allow the end user to navigate a hierarchy tree on the server to find the documents?

There is also  http://www.360works.com/filemaker-document-management/

Fitch/Ocean, thank you for the feedback! I will begin building my case on convincing Corporate to spring for the upgrade to 12, we're long over due anyhow.

Ocean, "FMP front end or also nav. on the sever..."

Forgive me, I don't fully understand your question, but I believe I wish to use FMP as the front end.

Script would save file to server and remotely link file to container in history table. History table would be viewed via portal from Project. User would navigate to Project of interest to view all associated report pdf's. Does this answer your question?

Thx)

Yea that makes sense. I had a solution where we upload to FMP and the. FMP will export file to a project client specified path on network drive for consumption for people that don't have FMP.

This topic is 4041 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.