Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Creating an online e-commerce "store"

This topic is 3987 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I have 12,000,000 (12 million) books in an FMPro Database including book images and descriptions.

I want to put this database up on the web and allow visitors to search through it, pick out books, put them in a cart and buy them with Paypal.

With this many books and images it has to be "fast" enough so we don't lose visitors who have to wait too long for their search to complete.

Not sure how to get this accomplished with FMPro. I've tried some open source stores but can't believe there isn't a simple setup to do it mostly in FMPro.

Looking for cheap, turn key solution.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David

There is nothing I am aware of that will do this out of the box for FileMaker - I've built a fair few similar systems though, and if your requirements are not complicated, it's not that expensive.

I'll also say that PayPal is a pig to integrate with - their development protocols are difficult compared to a lot of other payment processing companies.

Edit: There was a product offered by FMWebSchool called DolphinCart that was out of the box - but very difficult to modify and reskin. Also no longer supported as far as I can tell

Cheap, easy to configure, and good performance? That's not going to happen. Your expectations need serious revision.

What you're looking to do is incredibly complicated.

The first question is what is it worth to your business to have your books for sale on the web? Multiple that by 1 or 2 and that's your budget. If it's less than $10K, forget it, you're not going to get 12 million items of inventory on the web.

This topic is 3987 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.