Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Sever backup file path syntax

This topic is 3962 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all

I have a very basic question.

I have a sonology NAS that i would like to use for my file backup from my server.

The server is called "DocumentServer" and t appears in my sidebar. It has an ip address of 10.1.1.26

I cannot seem to create a FMS schedule to back up to it. I get a "file path not valid" message.

I wish to back up to a folder called "database". My file path is filemac:/DocumentServer/database.

Can some one advise me what the correct syntax should be please

Joseph

FMS backups directly to shared network volumes don't work by design.  FMS prevents us from doing it because of the inherent extra vulnerability.

The better approach is to backup locally and then use a shell script to copy the backup over to the NAS.  If the copy was successful the shell script can optionally delete the local backup.

Remember that you can backup and copy all from within one shell script and have that scheduled by FMS, so it's a pretty straightforward approach.

Ok. That explains a few things.

Shell script is outside of my expertise.

Will have to use something like carbon copy cloner to achieve that.

Thank you for your reply. It is much appreciated

Joseph

And if you use some 3rd party system to backup the Backups folder, be sure it doesn't conflict with the times of the FileMaker Server backups.  A safer and better approach is to push out a copy of the Backups Folder to some networked destination and have the 3rd party system act on that copy.

Also, if the files contain data that must be protected, you might want to encrypt that backup by the 3rd party system.

Steven

How do we push out a copy of the Backups folder?

Won't that rely on a non-FMS method, and therefore still subject to timing conflicts with the FMS backup schedule?

Thanks

Won't that rely on a non-FMS method, and therefore still subject to timing conflicts with the FMS backup schedule?

It does not have to relay on a non-FMS method, although it could.  You have to control the timing so there is no conflict.

Steven

This topic is 3962 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.