Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Conditional value list both ways

David Nelson

This topic is 3752 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Attached is my current setup, structurally correct thanks to Comment.  I have reviewed many posts and I cannot find one similar to this need.  I have two fields where, if I select one field, I want the other to filter down to only the associated values whereas if I select the other one, I want the first to filter down.

Maybe I am approaching this improperly.  When we create a Transaction, the person may only know the Unit.  I would like only People associated to appear.  But sometimes they will only know the person and then I want the Unit to filter down.

Should I perform a find instead of trying conditional value list which might not be possible this way?  Ideas appreciated.

structure2.fp7.zip

If I understand you correctly, you want two different things from each value list.  If the Unit is not specified then you want all People to be listed in the People value list, correct?  If the Unit is specified then you want the People value list to display only the people associated with that unit? You would have to craft a relationship that behaves in this way and then base the value list on this relationship. 

It is unclear to me which people associated with a unit you want to display in the value list:  Owners, Main Contacts, or Renters? 

Your People for this Unit value list, as it is currently setup, shows only those people who have previously been named in a transaction, since your relationship graph connects People to Units via Transactions. I guess that's not what you're after.

• 3 months later...

I have a similar problem to what is described here.

I have a value list for Category, and one for Inventory.

When you select Category, you can see the appropriate Inventory items from that Category.

However, if you have not entered a category, I want the Inventory list to show all values.

Is this even possible?

I don't think it's similar. One way to achieve this is to make the Category field auto-enter all values (using the ValueListItems() function) when it's empty, otherwise Self.

OK, I understand the idea behind this, but implementing it has all values shown in the Category field - I'd want to keep this empty during data entry.

This topic is 3752 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.