Version 12 icon for Mac users

This topic is 3727 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Well version 13 has been release but it is the same icon as v12.  Since you can run multiple version on the Mac a visual distinction always helps.

I have attached a new 'FM12DApp.icns' file to put into the apps content / resources folder.

After you replace it you can 'get info' on the app, select the icon in the top left corner, then copy / paste to  refresh the new icon.

FM12DApp-blue.zip

FM12DApp-green.zip

FM12DApp-orange.zip

• Like 3

Seems to me you can just paste a pic into the Get Info of the app, no need to bust into the content/resources, and I thought this affected cmd-tab icons too, but I can't test it right now.

• Like 1

Seems to me you can just paste a pic into the Get Info of the appn and I thought this affected cmd-tab icons too,

It does, and that's where it's really helpful. In my (left-sided) dock I have them stacked “chronologically”.

Well version 13 has been release but it is the same icon as v12.  Since you can run multiple version on the Mac a visual distinction always helps.

Indeed! Thank you.

Thanks!

Any idea how to change the icon that shows up when you command-tab?

I renamed the "FileMaker Pro Advanced.app" file in the Applications folder to "FileMaker Pro Advanced 13.app" so I can distinguish it when doing command-tab.

Well version 13 has been release but it is the same icon as v12.  

What amazes me is that FMI did not consider the confusion same icon would cause.  It has been driving me nuts.  Much appreciated!!!    :laugh2:

Hmmm, since native 12 files can be opened in v13, but not the reverse, can v13 features be applied to v12?

What I'm getting at is, is there an actual need to run v12 like we have to with v11.

Things like theme features should work fine, but there may be the scenario where 12 is needed.

It potentially (I obviously haven't tested) could be thought of as FMP advanced-Plus as long as we can't apply the new v13 plus features to v12 files and render something not functional.

CD

GREAT!!!

now i can style the icons according to my needs

may i ask you to provide the psd file?

Sure, here is a new set of icons for v11, v12, v13, plus the PSD file.

- Edit PSD

- save as PNG

- then drag the PNG onto 'Img2icns' app  (http://www.img2icnsapp.com)

- export as '.icns' file

- drag new icns file into the top left of GetInfo   (thanks Fitch)

NEW v11-v12-v13-icons.zip

Filemaker alternative icons.tiff.zip

• Like 2

What I'm getting at is, is there an actual need to run v12 like we have to with v11.

Self-protection, largely :)

If you are working on a client that is still in 12, then working in 12 will prevent you from accidentally using features from 13 that will not work in their solution.

Also troubleshooting in 12 in this case will be better because 13 may have fixed some things and have slightly different behavior.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks!

Any idea how to change the icon that shows up when you command-tab?

Sorry to be so late on this:

1. Take the 13.icns file from the NEW v11-v12-v13-icons.zip file posted by rivet above

2. Rename it to "FM12DApp.icns"

3. In your Applications folder, right-click on the FMD v13 application icon and select "Show Package Contents"

4. In the resulting folder, navigate to Contents->Resources

5. Backup the "FM12DApp.icns" file in this folder, then replace it with the file from step 2 above

6. Open the icons file in Preview (just double-click), click on the image and Select All, then copy

7. Go back to the Applications folder and then select the FMD v13 application icon; press cmd-I (for Get Info)

8. Select the icon at the top of the Get Info window (the small icon, not the large one which is already updated) and paste the new image

9. Close the Get Info window.

Ta-da!

(PS these instructions are intended for a wider audience than just you, Wim).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.