Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Serial fails auto-enter & validation?

LaRetta

This topic is 3360 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Am I missing something here?  The auto-enter incremental serial (attached fp7) is set to validate range 1-10.  Purpose is to restrict total records in the table to 10.  

Create 11 or 12 records - even explicitly commit between records 10, 11 and 12.  Not only does it allow the record creations but the serial quits auto-entering completely.  This behaviour is replicated in 11, 12 and 13 on Mac OSX 10.9.

I realise my implementation may seem weird but regardless, am I the only one who finds this behaviour unexpected?

"Not only does it allow the record creations but the serial quits auto-entering completely."

​Ahm, actually this might be useful if the behaviour must remain.  I can't think of how we might use it at the moment but still, having a counter which automatically stops is kinda (nerdy) cool. 

ValidRange.fp7.zip

Try adding 'Not empty' to the validation?

---

Note also that the serial keeps incrementing with each new record. So it's not like "the serial quits auto-entering completely" - it just quits auto-entering into the validated field. But it keeps counting quietly to itself.

Edited by comment

It is interesting ... then we might use this for something, Michael.  Thank you.   Maybe some time we would like a field to populate with the latest count of 'somethings' with a value over 100.  Set this serial.  Set validation to 'somethings' over 100.  At any time in history, you can see its total at that moment of how many passed.  And at any time, you can also see the percentage of how many attempts were made to create somethings which failed.

It still feels bug-like since we don't get a validation failure message but I suppose that is because I'm still not really clear on it but at least now it's in my radar.   And as I have time I'm sure I'll be back at it.   :-)

It still feels bug-like

it probably is a result of incorrect order of operations. Still, since serial numbering is rock-solid, I wouldn't want them to try and fix this minor quirk.

As for using it? I don't quite see what this can do that couldn't be done with a calculation field.

• 1 year later...

YIKES!!  I just came across this thread while searching for issues with incremental backups and FM crashes and ...

I never answered you!  I somehow missed it!!  I'll get back to you ... a tad-bit late but I'll get back to you!

As for using it? I don't quite see what this can do that couldn't be done with a calculation field.

I have no idea what I was attempting but it seems like it was probably during my 'play period' where I test different things I wondered about.  

I haven't found a use for it yet mostly because I had forgotten I had even posted it but it still might come in handy one day if I can remember it now!  :idot:

This topic is 3360 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.