Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Layout size differnce between FM12 & FM13

Barry685

This topic is 3489 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I figured it out and it sucks. My laptop has a screen resolution of 1930 x 1080 and the dpi setting was set at 125%. When I changed it to 100% all the fonts including all the fm Menus got so small their barely readable (Im over 60). I can't work with that DPI setting. I cant upgrade to FM13 if that is their solution,

You can easily select a text field, it will be set to default.  Increase the size.  Then save the style as the default.  Then be sure to update the theme which will replicate that change throughout the solution.  Ideally you will duplicate a theme you like and use it instead so you can customise the entire thing.  :-)

This will all take place in Inspector > Appearance at the top where you work with styles and themes.

It may affect some layouts and views but you shouldn't need to increase but a point or two.  You can also try different themes.

Also I believe that converted files inherit classic theme by default.

Laretta Im not sure my reply was clear. The problem is if I have to change the Dpi setting in the Win 7 OS control panel to 100% in order for a solution designed in FM12 to appear correct when FM 13 opens that solution. All the fonts that are on the desktop get 25% smaller and are barely legible including FM 13's internal menu system.

Hi Barry,

I'm not  a Windows person, so forgive my asking:  Isn't the size of an application's internal menu system controlled at the OS level, and therefore, shouldn't the size of the menus be the same, on a given machine set at a given DPI, irrespective of the application and version?

I may be misunderstanding the issue, and apologize if so.

Mark

HI Mark,

If you go into the control panel on windows to the Display option the default setting for DPI is 125%. This is a comfortable setting for most users (and that it why it is the default).

With Fm13 if you keep that default setting, your layouts increase in size by 25% compared to FM12. If the DPI setting is changed to 100% then your layout will re size properly, however everything else on your computer is now visually 25% smaller and is difficult to read.

The attached image is the same solution opened at the same time on a screen set to 125% DPI with FM12 and FM13.

post-78360-0-93339400-1390416786_thumb.p

Thanks for the clarification, Barry.  Interesting.  

I wonder if FM changed the way pts are rendered, on PCs, between FM12 and 13.  I'm not seeing the same thing on the Mac side.  On a non-retina Mac, in both FM versions, 1pt = 1px, irrespective of pixel density (and = 2px on retina displays).  My MBA, for example, has approx. 128 px per linear inch, so a 72pt line in FMP (12 or 13) maps to about 9/16 inches (at 100% zoom).  IOW, FM is not remapping pts to equal 1/72nd of an inch based on a screen's pixel density.  I like that, as it ensures that lines and edges remain crisp.

In contrast, I wonder—I'm just speculating here and could stand some authoritative education on this!—if, on Windows, FM 13 (but not 12) is remapping pt measurements to pixels such that 1pt maps to 1/72nd of a display inch (at the pixel density of a 100% zoom level).  That would explain your observation.  I notice that the menus and other FM "chrome" are not changing size in your screenshot, just the layout and its objects.  Supposedly points, in CSS, are an absolute measurement that is supposed to always map to 1/72nd inch on any display, and thus are (per my fuzzy understanding) often avoided by web designers in favor of relative units like pixels or ems.  Not being a web designer, I've never been clear on how that plays out in practical application.  Anyway, I've figured that FM's relative mapping of 1 pt to exactly 1 (or 2, on retina displays) px is a good thing, for the aforementioned reason.  Could it be that this has changed (for the worse) on PCs?  Or am I way out of line in my understanding of these things?

Best,

Mark

P.S.  Hope you get it worked out, as FMP 13 is leaps-and-bounds improved over 12.  So many great, new features that would be a shame to miss out on!

Well I think whatever they have done to make this change in FM13 is a big Boo Boo :mad: .   I am surprised that  I seem to be the only one posting this. Maybe I'm the only one using Windows. At least I am just using the trial version and haven't spent any money on this.

Barry,

There are a lot of Windows folks here.  I, too, am surprised that no one else has reported this, either here or over on TechNet.  Makes me suspicious that there is something in your particular setup that is causing this behavior.  I'd recommend investigating further.

Mark

Got it.  And if you change the DPI to 100%, it shrinks the layout back to correct size (good!), but shrinks menus and other chrome down as well (bad!), making those harder to see and use.  Yikes!  No chance of switching to Mac, I suppose?  (Just askin'*)

Mark

(*My boss in my job as a biomedical researcher, a loooooong-time PC user, just announced this morning that she's the proud new owner of a . . . MacBook Air.  I nearly fell off my chair.)

• 8 months later...

I am having the same problem.

FileMaker displayed perfectly with version 12 no matter what the user did to the screen resolution.

Now in 13, it appears to "Listen" to that setting and users with new laptops running windows need to put it at 125% so they can read their email and word, etc.

But FM completely resizes..

Why???

Is there a fix to this?

This topic is 3489 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.