Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Database slow to open "offline" with external data sources

This topic is 3747 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database that is stored locally on my computer that has external data sources to a server offsite. I want the database to work "offline" without an internet connection at times.

The problem is that when I open the database and filemaker cannot find the external sources (because there is no internet connection), the database takes forever to open.

How can I tell filemaker to not look for the external sources?

Thank you

No luck, It still is slow to open... and then it is looking for data in that "fake" file which is a problem.

I have a script that checks for an internet connection "on first window open" but the database even before that script is run is checking for the external sources which is the slow part.

I have a "master" database that is hosted on a remote server. Then I have a smaller database in which copies are distributed to all of the users. This smaller database is meant for offline work. It is read only but every now and then the file needs to contact the master database to get new records (sort of a sync process if you will). When the file has internet access it is fine because it checks for the external data source and within 2 seconds the file finds the source and moves on... but if the computer the file is on is offline... the file hangs for about 20 seconds looking for the external source... I don't seem to have any control over the file to tell it "if no internet connection... don't look for the external datasource".

FMP is opening connection to datafiles that is defined in the External File dialog.

In newer versions, it even tries to connect, if you have a TO pointing to a table in an external data file.

The reason for the delay is that FMP is trying to connect and you will have to wait for timeout.

The only real way of doing this, is to basically have 2 interface files and a start file.

Open the start file -> check to see if there is internet connection -> yes -> open the file that has connection to the remote datafiles -> No -> open the file that has connection to the local offline datafile.

Sync is complex so whatever approach you do here, has to be based on the solution and workflow.

Also be aware, that when you define your server, it will timeout faster if you use the IP address instead of a domain name. That is because if it is a domain name, FMP has to ask first your dns cache, then a dns server for the ip address of that domain.

Using the ip address will send a request directly to the server. (you will still have to wait for timeout, though...)

This topic is 3747 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.