Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filter Layoutnames Function

cjohnston

This topic is 3671 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I currently use the Layoutname function to create a list of layouts that I have in a file used for spreadsheets only.  This list works great as it allows the user to click on the layout name from the list that they would like to view and the script merely takes them there.

Now that the list has grown to a large list, I would really like to be able to filter this list down by one mechanism or another.  I have tried limiting the list by the Table that it is associated with but have had no luck.

Does anyone have any idea's with this

thanks in advance...Chad

I don't quite follow your description:

I currently use the Layoutname function to create a list of layouts that I have in a file used for spreadsheets only.

I have a drop down list that is a list of the layout names in the file.

A drop-down needs to be associated with a value list. A value list cannot be based on an unstored calculation field. If the calculation field that uses the LayoutNames() function is stored, then it will not update when layouts are added/deleted/renamed. As such, you could equally well use a custom value list, with the layout names hard-coded in the value list definition.

This part is also not clear:

I have tried limiting the list by the Table that it is associated with

I need to filter that list by a specific table.

What is "the Table that it is associated with"? Where are you when you need to use this list, and how is this table related to the current table?

--

Hint: it's not good strategy to be laconic when describing your issue.

• Newbies

apologize for not being descriptive enough, Youre absolutely correct in the fact that the calculation is not stored so it has to be refreshed in order for the calculation of "layoutnames" to be updated.  I have defined a button to do so.  Therefore when a user adds a new layout it doesn't show on the list until they have pushed the refresh button.  This all works well, the short coming is that the list of layouts is very long and I desire to have it condensed down by the table that it is associated with.  I appreciate your help...Chad

This isn't getting anywhere.

Your request is impossible to understand and you are not explaining it adequately.

You mention a list; you don't describe how you create the list; and you don't describe how it would even be possible to associate table occurrences with this list.

Please provide an example file demonstrating your current technique. You can upload a clone of your file if you don't want to show any data.

Why not just users view the status toolbar and use the normal "Layout" selector?   As the designer you can customize the layouts to only show the subset of layouts that you want them to access.  You can customize the status toolbar if you want to remove some of the features, like the Delete Record button. 

• Like 1

This topic is 3671 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.