Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Same Layout, Two different Users, Two contents

Harry

This topic is 3599 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello Board,

I've had two charting problems this week that I cannot solve. I need your help again!

So, my Dashboard has a line graph and a bar chart in it. One is a Days chart, showing Sums of data per day and the other is a Weeks chart, showing the same metrics, only summed by Week.

I'm doing the building and admin on my PC, and there's a PC in the office, with a big 60" screen attached to it, and the Dashboard being displayed, metrics updating etc etc.

This odd layout, which is new last few weeks, on my screen shows the data plotted onto the Bar Chart, but the one in the office, which is connected to the same DB on the same server, does not show the data in the bar chart.

I can move the graph around, and those changes are reflected on both screens, mine and the office Dashboard. But the data doesn't come up.

Anyone know why that might be...?

Thank you!

No, but i am looking at the same record from two accounts... does that make a difference?

I also have 4 Global Fields in the Weeks_table that are text strings, these are used for table occurances to filter records to sum for the graph.

These text strings keep disappearing. I input htem, and a bar chart populates. Then, when i've closed or moved a lot of windows around (opening/closing) the values will no longer be in the fields. I can input them again no problem. I've also tried setting them to be calc fields ="string" but they don't seem to stick...

Is this a hosted system?

It should be noted that on hosted files, Global fields will reset to whatever value they were when the database was placed onto the Server. If they were blank, then they will be blank every time the system is opened. If they had value '123', then they will have that value when the system is opened...

Any value set while it is open will be lost the next time the system is opened...

Hrmmm.... that's a new one on me, then! Thank you Webko.

Yes, it is hosted on Server - but the file isn't opened and closed on the server - is this Global Field Clearing per session?

What is the standard way of dealing with this, then? Do you script a StartUp routine that opens the right Layouts, maximises windows then sets all the Global fields in the system?

You can prime the Global fields using an opening script, or an OnTimer script step if those values need to change.  Or use the method Doughemi linked to. It will depend somewhat on your own skill level with FM and preference.

It may be worth testing both options on a copy of the file and see which preforms best for you.

OK, thanks a lot for your help. All clear what I need to do. I will set up a test bed and try these different ways out over the weekend and repost when i decide what I'm doing.

I will see if that starts to clear up some of the issues I am having with the graphing and charting etc.

Have a good weekend everybody!

So I suppose the Global_Table works nicely in my situation and I can use it for specific scripts (People) that need to access that data. 

Setting them in my opening script means that everyone gets the global fields set in one swoop.

Just got to pick one now. I am really not sure how this interacts with other stuff i haven't done yet. I can see me imbedding a solution into my system and then realising I should have done it the other way.

What do users here do? FMS13.

Cheers

OK SOLVED!

This has just cleared up a whole load of issues I was having, thank you so much everyone! I don't think I would have found it by myself.

In the end, i built a script that sets all of the Global Fields i need in relationships as text strings.

Then, I have another script that runs the Dashboards, you call the script and it opens a full size window, and starts swapping between three Dashboard screens i have setup. The start of this script calls my Global Script and it works completely.

I've only had to set permissions to my Dashboard client to have execute rights on that script and it's done.

Thanks again!!

This topic is 3599 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.