total for only specific records

This topic is 3603 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

I have created a database that monitors extras needed for scenes. I have managed to generate a report that will work out the totals of adults and the totals of children, but I am struggling to get it to work so it adds up the numbers for just a certain unit. If I search for a unit say 2nd unit, it will still only show up the two units combined so adds main and 2nd unit. I have tried several things but cannot seem to get it to work. The report I am trying to get it to work on is the one liner copy. I would like to be able to add up say the totals for adults and then kids then both combined just for that unit and show that, so I can work out the costs for each unit separately, rather then as one whole.

I hope this makes sense, I am very very new to Filemaker pro and a huge novice, so any help is very much appreciated in helping me be able to achieve this.

Thanking you in advance

Sarah

Crowd (8th edit) Copy.fmp12.zip

EOS

Thank you for the reply, I had a look at the file you sent, which was very much appreciated, Alas this would not work for us. For example next month I have 191 of the same character, it would be very painful and pointless to type out the character name 191 times. Also it wouldn't allow me to solve the problem of seeing numbers just for one type of unit. However, your help was very much appreciated that you looked at the file and sent an example you thought would help me with my problems. Thank you very much.

Sarah –

glad you liked it, but I'm afraid you missed the point. It's not about how you enter the data for the scenes – how you take care of that is another matter. For my demo I just needed some sample data and chose a manual method that works for a small number of related records.

As to your requirement to only get the figures for a certain unit: I have no idea where exactly a unit comes into play, but if you provide a description, I'm sure we can help you to 1. achieve a better data model, and 2. get those figures (basically what I said in my first post … )

Best regards,

Oliver

Hi Oliver

My mistake for not explaining better. Let me try again and see if I can make more sense this time. Basically with film crew we usually have at least two units, a main unit and a second unit. As you can see from the crowd breakdown this report here helps us see what we have in every day for each scene, giving us the total for that scene so we can see how many people we need and then also a grand total for that whole day of people. At the bottom of the report we have a gross total for all adults kids etc etc. Now with the one liner report sometimes some depts don't need such a long report and to see a breakdown of characters, they just need to see how many adults as a total for that day, how many kids etc etc. now each unit has their own budget and quite often can be shooting in different places so it is easier to look at the one liner report to see Ok we have 45 adults and 50 kids in on main unit and 32 kids and 90 adults on second unit on those days. It would help them work out there staffings.. but what I also need is a grand total of people from each day for the separate units. We tend to budget by man days, so I need to see how many are for main unit and how many are for second unit to make sure I have not gone over. The crowd report clubs them together which does not help me see the gorse for each unit. Does this give a better description of what I need? I can attach an excel file showing the file in excel. I am hoping not to have to duplicate it in excel and use the data from the filemaker pro. Ideally if I list them both in the same report then have two separate lines at the bottom for each unit for the gross totals. i was also wondering if filemaker pro has the ability to show one unit with say white lines and second unit with say yellow lines for each day when put in date order, so it is easy to see which unit it is when they are all merged in date order together. 

Thanks again for your replies and help it is very much appreciated. 

No, it's OK to make the unit an attribute of a scene, because IIUC, a scene is shot by a unit. But the reports and the calculations necessary should (probably; see below) be performed in the Characters table.

At the moment I don't know how exactly you (want to) handle scenes, or are handling them until now by traditional means.

A scene is shot by a unit. Is a scene identical with a date, or can a scene shot happen over several days? If a scene has a certain number of characters, can we be sure that each actual shot will also have all these characters, or can there be adjustments (fewer/more characters)?

If there are no adjustments, and a scene with its related characters could be seen as a blueprint, then with a structure like 

Shot (with date) >-- Scenes (with unitID) --< Characters

where you define a scene once, then simply add shot/day records, it may be the better to calculate the figures in the Scenes tables and just reference and summarize them for each Days record (i.e. an actual shot by a unit).

If OTOH, due to other factors the number of actually participating characters in a scene could vary from one shot day to the next, you'd have to store the Characters for each day (but could automate their creation) and perform the report in the Characters table.

In short, be clear about how you data needs to be structured to model actual events.

See if the attached file is more to what you need. Be sure to check out the different reports.

ScenesCharactersUnits_eos.fmp12.zip

Hello, Looking at your original post and the file you provided, I have taken it as-is and simply took the 'gt_...' fields you had defined as calculations and turned them into 'summary' type fields instead... This could be what you were looking for... The summary fields in your 'one liner Copy' layout are placed on a Trailing Grand Summary layout part and therefor apply for all currently listed records. For example, if you were to search for just Unit 2 on a particular date range, you will see totals just for those records.... Hope this helps :-) Sky.

Crowd (8th edit)-sky.fmp12.zip

Hi Sky

I think I worked it out as I was close with the if calculation. I had the last part wrong with the amounts as you suggested. Thanks for your help Sky. I do need to expand the database to do more things. I am currently work out exactly what it is we need to be able to do on top. Once I do I will pop over the freelancer website as I know you bid on the problem, but I decided to try to see if I could work it out before the bid time was up as it seemed more on the simple side... even thigh i was struggling at first haha, and send you the brief so you can see if you are interested and bid me the cost of doing it. Again Sky thanks for your help. 

Oliver

I did write a thank you got the second file, it clearly didn't post. Everyone's help on here is a big welcome to me esp as I am such a novice and I would never choose to ignore it. So thank you very much for the second file. Sorry the post didn't seem to post.

Thanks

Sarah.

Hi Oliver,

She said that she tried to post a thank you to you, but it didm’t post for some reason.

I suspect what happened was that Sarah wrote a reply, and then left the thread without hitting post.

Lee

This topic is 3603 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.