Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 3509 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Question: tjferris » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:53 am

I am a file maker n00b. What i am wanting to do is to not have fm starting point bring up it's own number everytime i click the new record button in the project tab. I want to be able to put in what ever job number I need to input there. How do I make this a regular box that i can type text into?? By doing this I will still be able to search by project number and cross it to a customer and invoice correct?? thanks in advance. icon_e_smile.gif
-------------------------
Tjferris,

Let me see if I can answer this for you...

A fundamental issue for relational databases is data integrity. That means, that generally relationships work as they are intended and data that is entered doesn't "get orphaned"..or attached to the wrong related record. The ID fields...known as "keys"... are serial numbers set up to prevent users for assigning their own numbers, where a user could assign the wrong number, or a duplicate number, causing the relationships to misbehave. For example: If you create related records...such as a related note...to the contact...and then you change the "ID_Contacts" field value for the contact record...all the connected notes...get disconnected...forever. The user would think the software erased their notes.

That being said...sometimes the ID fields should not be seen by users...since they don't understand what the field is,etc. Or, as in your case, the user wants an identifier field...that they can edit themselves. In this case, remove the ID fields from the layout (leave the field unchanged in the table and relationships)...and define for yourself a NEW field which the user can input their own ID value. That way...the relational connections between contact, notes, invoices, etc... doesn't get broken.

If this doesn't make sense, then its time to get some training materials on relational database fundamentals. icon_e_smile.gif 

- Richard
------------------------------
OK...sorry...let me strictly answer your question...

To make a text or number field enterable... (not a calc field)...on a layout, 

(1) Go to layout mode
(2) Select the field
(3) In the Inspector, go to the "Data" tab
(4) Go down to the section, "BEHAVIOR" > "Field Entry"
(5) Check off the options for entry into the field in BROWSE Mode and/or FIND Mode.

Thats it! - Richard

This topic is 3509 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.