Sign in to follow this  
John May - Point In Space

Continuing FileMaker Server 13 crashes with PDFs in container fields

For some time now, we have been seeing crashes of FileMaker Server 13 when using container fields that are being populated with PDF files.  The crashes are infrequent, random, and quite frustrating.  I am posting again to see if anyone has any input into this, had any success in resolving this issue, etc.  FileMaker's support has been unsuccessful in resolving the issue to-date.  I do know numerous other folks are experiencing the same issue.

What we're running:

OS X Server 10.8 (supported OS as per FileMaker's web site)

FileMaker Server 13v4

What happens:

FileMaker Server occasionally crashes when PDFs are being inserted into container fields

Suspicions:

We suspect the issue is caused by the thumbnail generation for PDF files.  We have tried with both temporary and permanent storage, but crashes still continue.  Not sure if disabling thumbnail creation alltogether keeps it from happening.  It also seems that FMGo may be part of the equation - not sure 100% if the crashes have happened in a pure FileMaker Pro client environment.

Thanks for any corroborating info folks can provide, etc.  Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this together.

- John

This is a pretty big "known" and unresolved issue with FMS on OS X...

There are multiple threads on the FileMaker support forum with this same issue:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/8adabe24db

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/d3853db796

by the way You have even replied in some of them yourself and in this thread: https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/158031

I don't think there is any news about it yet.

Yeap, just trying to bubble it to the top and see if people had any further input they could provide regarding their experiences with it.  I'm trying to correlate as many folks' data as I can to see if any patterns can be found with the issues.

- John

We've just started storing PDFs in container fields ourselves, and haven't had this issue, YET! How badly does FileMaker Server crash? What do you have to do to restore normal service?

Yep a total restart is usually the best option. Just restarting the FileMaker Server seems to result in a less stable server causing quicker crashes, but then again that could just be confirmation bias. 

To be honest though we've been coming to the conclusion that FileMaker Server 13 on Mac OS X has too many issues and should preferably not be used. The Windows version has fewer issues and is much stabler. Ofcourse there is not always a choice..

I'm not sure writing off the OS X version is necessary.  This is the only problem we have at this point with FileMaker Server 13.  Best thing to do would be for all of us to lean on FMI to get it fixed once and for all.

- John

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By "... you mean these fans?"
      Mr. Ignoramus
      We have a solution in Canada where we moved the db from a hosting company to a LAN ( customers building ) They are using a Mac OS machine running FileMaker 16 server.
      We access the FM 16 server via apple's remote access, having trouble locating where we would put the index.html and php files for our web form that we used when we were hosting on an outside hosting company.  The hosting company put the html/php file in the folder that designated our account number. 
      My question is this ... where would we put the two web files; index.html (form) and the .php (create record in FM) file on the FM 16 server.  I can not seem to locate the instruction via the documentation FM is providing.  Have done several internet search ...
      I am gathering information to pass to the individual helping us with the FM server at location.
      Anybody able to provide a link or guidance I would be grateful.
      Thank you.

• By jduncan
      Hello,
      We recently upgraded from FMS 14 to FMS16 and one of our databases won't open via WebDirect due to the way it's named:  the database title has an ampersand ("&") in it.  This worked just fine for FMS14, but not for FMS16.  The easiest solution seems to be to change the database title.  I'm a little hesitant to jump into this because of a large number of externally held containers.  How would one safely go about changing the database name (I'd like to change the "&" to "and") without losing the linked containers? 
      In case anyone's wondering, I didn't name the database; I inherited it.
    • By TaiChi56
      I have always developed with FileMaker for windows. I have bought myself a MacBook Air and love it. So now I am using FileMaker 16 Pro advance for MAC. I know that MAC does not label their directories like windows does. So I am having problems figuring out to get the right coding to access my photos. I have a folder called "Photos" that reside on the C: drive in windows. Then I reference that folder so pictures will populate automatically when I put in a record. Here is what I have on the windows fileMaker:
      ImagePath:
      Let ( [ // Transform the contents of a container field named Images to text ImageRef = GetAsText ( ImagePath); Photos = Position ( ImageRef; "/"; 1; PatternCount ( ImageRef; "/")) ]; Middle ( ImageRef; Photos + 1; Length ( ImageRef ) - Photos ) ) images:
      "imagewin:/C:/Photos/" & Film::title & ".jpg" Then I go into Import folder and point to the folder all the photos are in. The problem I have now is how to point to that folder in "imagewin", is their an alternative called imagemac, then I could put in Macintosh HD/Users/patricks/Documents.  The folder is in the Document folder, called Photos. Thank you for any help.
    • By ShelCOYS
      Hi, I have fm 14 server running on a mac mini. I have recently upgraded to FM16 running Mojave on 2 x local macs. We started with one license, where only one of us could use FM at a time (as we knew), I have since bought another copy and and reinstalled FM16 on the local mac with the new serial number but the server still seems to think we are using the same copy?? and we are getting the attached error. I have completely uninstalled FM locally but still does not work. I have asked my FM guy, as well as 2 or 3 other people but everyone seems to be stumped?? Is there any way of clearer the cache which may be holding this old information? Any help would be much appreciated.

• By Gaohan
      Dear all,
      I'm new here so forgive me if not posted in the correct location. We have the following situation for which we do not know how to continue:
      We have Filemaker server running on a windows server. The server is accessed through its local ip address (in the 10.10.10.x block). For an internal application I would like to extract information from a FileMaker database for usage in another application. Initially, I used the xmlresultset grammar. It works for when requesting the databases hosted on the server (i.e. : http//10.10.10.x/fmi/xml/fmresultset.xml?-dbnames returns the expected result). However, when I attempt to retrieve a list of layouts that are available I keep getting an empty body result:
      http://10.10.10.x/fmi/xml/fmresultset.xml?-db=Test&-layoutnames Returns the following contents (Note the content-length = 0):
      [Chrome section: General] Request URL: http://10.10.10.x/fmi/xml/fmresultset.xml?-db=Test&-layoutnames Request Method: GET Status Code: 200 OK Remote Address: 10.10.10.x:80 Referrer Policy: no-referrer-when-downgrade [Chrome section: Response header] Content-Length: 0 Content-Type: text/xml;charset=UTF-8 Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 16:01:06 GMT Server: Microsoft-IIS/10.0 X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN X-Powered-By: ARR/3.0 X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block [Chrome section: Request headers] Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,image/apng,*/*;q=0.8 Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.9,nl;q=0.8 Authorization: Basic XXXXXXXXXXXXX Cache-Control: max-age=0 Connection: keep-alive Cookie: JSESSIONID=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.jwpc1 DNT: 1 Host: 10.10.10.x Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1 User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/70.0.3538.77 Safari/537.36 I specifically made a layout that should return content as a table view of the records.
      I have verified with PHP, and it shows the same problem.
      I have read on some forum that layouts should be made available through web-publishing as well. How to do this? I cannot find it in the documentation.
      What else am I missing?
      Hoping for an answer!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.