Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Importing Records with duplicate values & unique values

This topic is 3402 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a database in FM Pro 11 made up of approx. 20 fields.  New records / new information is constantly being added, but it is added in large batches by importing information from excel files.

I use the import function that is built into Filemaker and I put no restrictions on importing:  everything is imported even if it creates multiple duplicate records.  The reason for this is that with each import I am often adding some new information that I don’t want to lose, and I don’t want to lose unique information already present with a record.

For example:

post-112669-0-94488500-1420228109_thumb.

What I do want is that with each import, the script look at the Address, which is my unique identifier, and then APPEND any new information in Field 2, 3, or 4 without stripping Existing information.

Imports are always taking place, and with each one, there may or may not be new information to be appended to a field.  IF there is nothing to add, then the record should be skipped and left alone.

Can someone help me write a script or scripts to accomplish this – if it is even possible?

post-112669-0-94488500-1420228109_thumb.

Probably the easiest way to do this is to do the import in a "scratch" table and then loop through it and take the necessary bits and pieces and write them to the matching real record in their proper tables.  That will give you much more flexibility than anything you can get from the import process alone.

I would suggest you rethink your strategy - and your structure. You didn't say what your data is really about, but as a rule, compounding multiple values in a single field is not good practice. It sounds like you need to add another table, where each new value would create a new record.

I'm at a very basic level myself too, but I think that Wim is suggesting that you create a new table (with the same fields as your original table and import that data into that.)

You need a unique identifier in both tables and probably in the spreadsheet too - so you know if you've actually got 3 John Smiths, or one that's been imported 3 times. (as far as I can tell, you don't have one, so you might need to use Filemakers serial number function in a new field in both tables.

After that point, you'll need someone smarter than me to help you, but it's definitely possible. :)

Cheers,

Mike

Sorry; replied at the same time as comment; but he's probably right!!

This topic is 3402 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.