Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Question re who is behind this web site and other

This topic is 3393 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm relatively new to FM, and have received a lot of amazing feedback from some amazing people -- including all the moderators -- regarding my incessent beginner oriented questions. Who "runs" this web site? I ask because right now I'm contributing a meager $5 or $10 per quarter to assist in running the web site, but am toying with increasing that substantially. Do you guys break even, etc?

I will let Stephen answer this question but I know how you feel.  I had extensive database training, relational theory, mainframe before discovering FM but if it wasn't for this forum, it would have been a difficult task.  FM does not operate like any other tools I had used in the past.  My first web search for a cross-compatible program brought me here by chance (for a new client which needed x-plat design) and I've stayed ever since.  I read other FM forums as well but my heart is here.

Most of us continue to assist those who are new (right up to advanced) to pay it forward.  We also continue to learn, stay up on techniques, watch for unexpected behaviors and bugs, and keep our skills honed.  Interacting here allows us to fine-tune our skill set in deciphering a user's questions, formulating responses etc ... all critical tools for consultation, project management, interpreting User needs, and working with clients and their staff.

FMForums is a resource I'm thankful for every single day.

• Like 1

I definitely try to pay it forward whenever I can with tips that perhaps others can use . . . . but at the end of the day, I'm not sure how much I can contribute! I get excited when I think I can post intelligently to help someone out, but it always seems that the solution I propose is less than optimal in many respects.

but it always seems that the solution I propose is less than optimal in many respects.

Don't sweat it.  Post away, the conversation is likely to help people out that are in the same through process as you.

And know that there are always many ways to skin the cat; some are good in one scenario but bad for another scenario.

Don't sweat it.  Post away, the conversation is likely to help people out that are in the same through process as you.

And know that there are always many ways to skin the cat; some are good in one scenario but bad for another scenario.

Thanks!  I do definitely try to post tips in the tips forum even for things that I'm guessing most know how to do -- so that when people do a search on the forum (or on Google), they're led to the answer . . .  I know for my personally, when I'm trying to figure something out, the first thing I do is do a Google search, which invariably leads to this forum. 

mikedr,

I started the forums almost 15 years ago. As a passion for connecting FileMaker users, developers and enthusiasts. I've been using FileMaker myself since it was FileMaker Plus v1.

The side effect for myself and others has been - learning something new by helping others. Accepting the challenge of testing trying out methods and see what resonates.

There are many ways to solve a particular task in FileMaker  – right or wrong is open is a case by case interpretation and salted with your knowledge at your current skill level. 

Please don't skin cats! 

:D  :runningcat: 

Sometimes the best teacher is to learn by failure - when that script you knew was perfect and well it caused database genoside you know not to do that again.

Even I would not implement some of the things I was passionate about just a few years back - too lazy - to fragile - convoluted, or there is an absurd lack of caffeine before that deadline.

We grow up and learn more efficient means of accomplishing the goals - a deadline or budget can really make for a catalyst of inspiration, or spawn case of the "clever's" 

so you have to be mindful of this and when you do discover your failings - blog it - or come to the forums and when you see someone else about to make the same mistakes you can

share your experience. As they say application of knowledge is wisdom!

We are all busy, many work for the "man" and can't spend that much time on the site and offer advice or experiences - their boss says "we need this" and they supplement their

skills by asking here. In contrast there are many consultants and developers here that have a chosen FileMaker as a vocation or career and generously take time to assist on the site, by reading and trying to decipher what the users is really asking - probing for more information sometimes even before a rational suggestion can be made.

It's a conversation and although typing and reading on the forums comes from a different part of the brain then speaking and listening - English oddly enough is not everyone's mother tongue so

we have to be patient; sometimes trying to write out instructions is much more difficult. I have many times found building a sample file to illustrate the technique - does go a long way - it can bridge that language gap and find that its seems always appreciated, even though its a commitment of time and effort. 

I really enjoy it when I see people whom started out here asking many questions start answering others questions with confidence.

My primary goal of the site has been achieved many times over - the reciprocation of knowledge - it always impresses me!

• Like 2

So how did you insert that spoiler?  I thought we lost that ability years ago on the website and I've viewed the options and I do not see where it can selected!  :-)

And, ahm no, please don't skin cats.   :cry:

This topic is 3393 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.