ALL my screens moving to FM13 are crap!

RodM

This topic is 3314 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Having both FM12 and FM13 running same screen///

Attach is one screen FM12 is way smaller..MY GOOD SCREEN
 developed using 1024x 764 template...

command fit window resize does a nice job..   no white border on side

NOW.. when opening using FM13...    same computer screen resolution

My screen are NOT EVEN CLOSE..    what is Filemaker doing?

(see 2 images attached) 

WOW.. what a difference and I am lost to how to fix it??

All my apps developed to date...screens to date are classic..

WILL NOT WORK IN FM13

post-85391-0-44794200-1422854089_thumb.j

post-85391-0-14857200-1422854110_thumb.j

Having both FM12 and FM13 running same screen///

Attach is one screen FM12 is way smaller..MY GOOD SCREEN

developed using 1024x 764 template...

command fit window resize does a nice job..   no white border on side

Perhaps I’m stating the obvious here, but your database windows are completely different sizes. Are each of them the result of the Resize to Fit command?

Hi Rod,

Unusual, to say the least!  My gut tells me that it's somehow related to the Classic theme (which, as Wim reminded us, is slated for deprecation, and was always meant as a temporary bridge between the old and new layout engines, anyway), but I've never heard of classic-theme layouts changing size like that.  

Agree with Wim that the solution will probably be to pick a non-classic theme (see the list linked above re future deprecation) and see if that doesn't fix things.  In addition to gaining a calmer, more contemporary look* in the process, you'll likely see better performance though leveraging FM13 styles and minimizing local formatting.  

(*I know, taste is very personal, so feel free to disregard, but since comment has already waded into the topic in post #4 . . . I must admit that the first thing I thought of wasn't the size difference [which I only noticed after the fact].  Instead, I immediately thought of John Geleynse's [Apple director of UI evangelism] phrase at DevCon, when talking about design patterns best avoided — I think his phrase was something like "psychedelic fruit salad.")

Mark

P.S.  Don't give up on 13 yet.  There's too much other goodness in there that helps build polished solutions faster than ever.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

thanks appreciate all the comments.. yes these screens came from XP, and i have gone through several learning phases, always avoiding themes, they just seemed difficult, or didn't work. Once i remember moving a layout to a theme, crapped out my world.. and needed to restore back to a older version.. so I avoided themes there on.  I think moving to 13 will force me to rewrite screens, pick a gentler screens as some said.. .  Its just that I like colors to separate my thoughts.. seems easier to support remotely... "see purple button top right" 

..I am from the psychedelic fruit salad." days

sorry some comments got off criticizing my psychedelic fruit salad,

WHEN the question was regarding a screens sizing problem between versions

Attached is 2 images again...
this time I am using Template Expense Report..
this layout screen  that I added...  a red box to stretch app layout to 1600 px using FM12version

Image   FM12    ..notice it all still fits on my monitor screen   my system resolution is set for max recommended 1680x1020  or something like such

When I fire up FM13.. run same screen... it looks twice the size..

sorry some comments got off criticizing my psychedelic fruit salad,

WHEN the question was regarding a screens sizing problem between versions

Attached is 2 images again...
this time I am using Template Expense Report..
this layout screen  that I added...  a red box to stretch app layout to 1600 px using FM12version

Image   FM12    ..notice it all still fits on my monitor screen   my system resolution is set for max recommended 1680x1020  or something like such

When I fire up FM13.. run same screen... it looks twice the size..

post-85391-0-01797800-1427221257_thumb.j

post-85391-0-37790700-1427221270_thumb.j

1. I would strongly suggest getting away from developing and deploying in 12 AND 13. Build in 12 deploy in 12. Build in 13 deploy in 13. There are some issues with rendering and how 13 handles the layout CSS is a little different.

2. I have opened a layout in both 12 and 13, and not seen your issue.

Edit: Thinking more on this...there is an option in the preferences to "Enlarge Contents to Improve Readability". Is that option checked in 13?

This may also be an issue with Windows XP.

In Windows 7, when the "Enlarge Contents..." option is one the 100% usually shows like this: *100. But I don't have a Windows XP machine to test that on.

This topic is 3314 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.