Scheduled script to startup FM

This topic is 3328 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

A couple of years ago I managed to create a trigger whichs opens my database in Filemaker at 7 o'clock in the morning. Now I want to change the behavior of that script, but I have completely forgotten how I made it.

I have been reading about 'script triggers' and related topics, but this havn't solved the problem.

In the menu 'Manage scripts* I havn't got anything like it. Where is such af script/trigger defined and stored og how can I edit it?

I'm running Mac OS Yosemite. I have been looking in the calender, but can't find any actions starting 7 a.m. seven days a week.

P.S. My actual need is now to close down Filemaker at 8:45 monday to friday, alternetively pop up a message: "Please finish your work and close Filemaker within the next five minutes".

Not sure what exactly your question is. If you're asking how you managed to get your database to launch every morning, there are several possible answers;  let me start with the one answer that isn't possible: it cannot be done within Filemaker. Filemaker will not do anything unless [a] the Filemaker application is running and  there is at least one file open. And in order to execute a scheduled action, [c] the open file must have an OnTimer script installed in one of its currently open windows. From your description, it seems that none of these conditions apply to your situation.

The other possibilities are OS-level scheduling, using one of these: iCal, launchd or cron.

If you need to close FileMaker you can use the same mechanism: at 8:45 use the OS scheduling tools to launch a FM file that will check what files / windows are open and show the dialog to the user.

You can also build it into your solution itself with the OnTimer but I think that would be a lot of overhead during the day and could be difficult to get right if your users open and close windows throughout their session.

I have a set of MacMinis that turn off every night, under the mac os setting options. In the morning at 5am, they power up and the only file they launch after auto login is a FM  db on the local machine. This then launches another script that connects to the network db.

It works very well.

I have a set of MacMinis that turn off every night, under the mac os setting options. In the morning at 5am, they power up and the only file they launch after auto login is a FM  db on the local machine. This then launches another script that connects to the network db.

It works very well.

I don't know... clearly these are not running FileMaker Server?

Harry, do you mean the machines SLEEP very night? Once a machine is completely powered down, or "off" there's no way for it to start itself, no?

No, You can set a Mac, under 'Schedule' to Sleep, or Restart or Shut Down.

I don't know... clearly these are not running FileMaker Server?

No, FMP clients connecting to FMS13.

This topic is 3328 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.