"recording" a field based on another

This topic is 3351 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a table called log, in this table I have several fields that are imported from a different table.  There are two fields (A and B) that are numerical.  A will have three different values 1,2,3 and B 10 different values (1-10).  I wanted to "recode" the numerical values into different fields in the same table (C and D). For example if A has the number 1, then auto-enter apples in C, if A =2 then auto enter oranges in C, if A is =3 then auto enter peaches in C.  The same For B here there will be 10 values each represent a specific item (1=red, 2=blue,3=black, 4=orange.....).  I have tried with the case function but I have not been succesful... any help? 

Please don't use abstract examples. They are not only extremely difficult to follow; they also lead to less than optimal answers. As it happens, there are several ways to accomplish such "recoding", and the choice depends on the purpose.

My guess (!) would be that you need to have a table of "translations", along the lines of :

Code   Value
----   ----
1      Apple
2      Orange
3      Peach

and use a relationship to display the value that corresponds to the selected code in your source table.

This topic is 3351 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.