Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Help creating a recursive function to return a list of tables that contain a text string

This topic is 3303 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

So I'm pretty new to writing recursive functions and I want to create a function that will contain a list of tables in my solution that contain a specific text phrase.  I can use PatternCount and the Get ( TableNames ) function to see that there are 6 tables in my solution that match my search criteria but from there I get stuck.

The calculation

PatternCount ( Get ( TableNames ) ; "myFile" ) ; "myTextPhrase" )

Returns a value of '6'.

How would I write a calculation to return the values of the tables that match the text phrase?

Edited by James Gill

I could definitely do it in a script but for this I'm trying to use it in an un-stored calculation field

Edit: Realized I specifically said script in my description.  Removed it to better describe what I want to do

Edited by James Gill

You could do it this way:

ValuesContaining ( listOfValues ; searchString ) =
Let ( [
value = LeftValues ( listOfValues ; 1 ) ;
nextList = RightValues ( listOfValues ; ValueCount ( listOfValues ) - 1 )
] ;
Case ( PatternCount ( value ; searchString ) ; value )
&
Case ( 
PatternCount ( nextList ; searchString ) ;
ValuesContaining ( nextList ; searchString )
)
)

then call this function as :

ValuesContaining ( TableNames ( Get (FileName) ) ; "myTextPhrase" )

Using the TableNames() function directly in the custom function is less convenient, because it doesn't change between iterations - unlike the listOfValues parameter above, that dwindles by one every time. Besides, having a generic custom function that can handle any list of values is way cooler.

• Like 1

I have to ask...why are you doing this?

​I needed a way to include only tables occurrences with a specific naming convention to use in a 3rd party solution (CCPivot).

God point.  In this I was just trying to use a technique that was close to the original method that was being used.  As usual and especially with Filemaker, there is usually more than 1 way skin a cat.

Some response would be nice...

​Oh, weird.  I thought I replied last night but apparently my reply got swallowed by the internet troll.  Yes, the technique worked perfectly for what I needed it for.  Is there a guide somewhere on how recursion words in Filemaker and what functions will work with recursion?  I never would have guessed that a native Filemaker function didn't support recursion...

Something definitely is not working right with this new forum. As you can see from the attached screenshot, you have replied 3 hours ago - but I am still listed as the last poster.

bad.thumb.png.7d1807f6dbc103fe098a64c611

​Is there a guide somewhere on how recursion words in Filemaker and what functions will work with recursion?

​ Only custom functions can be recursive (i.e. call themselves). You can use any function inside a custom function, including itself (hence recursion).

This topic is 3303 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.