Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker Pro Advanced 14 / Win 8.1 crashing

This topic is 3270 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

With the slight chance that someone else is experiencing the same issue...

I installed FMPRO Adv 14 on my stable Windows 8.1 system a few days ago.  It unfortunately has a consistent and huge issue -

1.  it crashes immediately if I launch through standard launch mechanisms.  I.E. immediately upon initial window opening.

2.  Workaround is to doubleclick the local DB file to open, and it works fine and is stable.

3.  If I then try to open a local or remote DB, (e.g. File -> Open -> ....) it crashes immediately after releasing mouse button on menu selection.    Unfortunately - I need to open a remote DB, which I have not found a workaround for yet.   It seems like the crash occurs as soon as it has to do anything to interrogate the file system.

While I am not a frequent poster to this forum, rest assured I know all (too arrogant?) of the typical advice.   Deinstall/re-install;  install on another system;  try it in Safe mode, etc.   So, thanks but not looking for basic tips.  I am also not interested in opening a support ticket to help Filemaker debug their software in the field.  I am GLAD to pay the annual subscription for both my ADV dev copy and my FM server host copy, but I am not going to spend my time QA-ing their software.   That's why I pay my fees gladly.   :^)

What I AM looking for is knowledge of either of the following:

1.  Does anyone know of a command line syntax to launch FM Pro ADV and have it open a remote database?   (not FM Server command line... the CLIENT).  Googling around with no luck yet.

2.  Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Thanks

-- Dave

Hi Wim,

thanks for the reply.  Yes, 64b win and 64b FMpro.  

Will try the syntax, thanks much.   I found similar syntax that revealed mixed results including same crash behavior but no success.  

Workaround is move FMP file around between DEV and SRV systems.  It will work but annoying   

Will also install fm pro adv on another similar spec system later and see what happens   

- Dave

Yes, same here. But I installed the 14 Pro Demo 32 Bit version, it crashes right away I double click the Icon and the starter solutions button apear.

As soon I open it with an old filem it starts normal, but I had a few otehr crashes plus i have lines moving to other, like I reported before.

This version is not stable at all.

So i moved back to 13 and I am lucky I did not order the update so far.

Any more info on the crash dump?

One of the big changes that happened under the hood to make FMP 64-bit is that FMP switched over to using a recent version of the .NET framework on windows.  So any crash details that you can provide can help them get to a fix more quickly.

Here is the header from the crash dump.  Unfortunately, the fault module name seems to be internal not external (e.g. DLL).  It is non-helpful to me (i.e. cant swap a DLL).

ACK on the .NET framework changes.  I will check for updates to it on the possibility of some dependency/interoperability bug.  

--------------

Version=1
EventType=APPCRASH
EventTime=130765221878489520
ReportType=2
Consent=1
UploadTime=130765221878802045
ReportIdentifier=0492a5dc-fe3a-11e4-bea4-d4bed9fca8d8
IntegratorReportIdentifier=0492a5db-fe3a-11e4-bea4-d4bed9fca8d8
NsAppName=FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe
Response.type=4
Sig[0].Name=Application Name
Sig[0].Value=FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe
Sig[1].Name=Application Version
Sig[1].Value=14.0.1.175
Sig[2].Name=Application Timestamp
Sig[2].Value=55384243
Sig[3].Name=Fault Module Name
Sig[3].Value=StackHash_7814
Sig[4].Name=Fault Module Version
Sig[4].Value=0.0.0.0
Sig[5].Name=Fault Module Timestamp
Sig[5].Value=00000000
Sig[6].Name=Exception Code
Sig[6].Value=c000041d
Sig[7].Name=Exception Offset
Sig[7].Value=PCH_2A_FROM_WS2_32+0x00000000000047AF
DynamicSig[1].Name=OS Version
DynamicSig[1].Value=6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
DynamicSig[2].Name=Locale ID
DynamicSig[2].Value=1033
DynamicSig[22].Name=Additional Information 1
DynamicSig[22].Value=7814
DynamicSig[23].Name=Additional Information 2
DynamicSig[23].Value=7814140f20cda05e06f9edb6aea24b27
DynamicSig[24].Name=Additional Information 3
DynamicSig[24].Value=ede9
DynamicSig[25].Name=Additional Information 4
DynamicSig[25].Value=ede93187b9766ae13293dbaa9ccd3791
UI[2]=C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced\FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe
UI[3]=FileMaker Pro Advanced has stopped working
UI[4]=Windows can check online for a solution to the problem.
UI[5]=Check online for a solution and close the program
UI[6]=Check online for a solution later and close the program
UI[7]=Close the program

UPDATE:  problem solved, for now at least.

I do not know the root cause, as I made several (appropriate) changes all at once.  Big thanks to Wim for pointing me towards the .NET info.   Here's changes I made:

1. Checked Windows 8.1 Update (both installed and non).  There was a .NET update (optional).  There was also a few optional updates that spoke of stability and performance fixes (optional?!  WTF?).    Installed them.  Rebooted it, checked FMPROADV14.  Still same crashing.
  2. Googled some more, found a reference to AppCrashView on MSWINSUPPORT site.  Downloaded it, helpful utility to show summary info across all crashdump files, not just a single one (as above).  It showed NTLL.DLL as the source of several other (silent) crashes over past several months.
  3. Used Control Panel -> Programs and Features to de-install software and modules that were not important to me / the system, under the suspicion of other buggy software being the culprit.  Did this brute force (i.e. deinstalled about 10 apps/subsystems).  Did not reboot.  I suspect this made the biggest difference, and that some other util that has filesystem hooks or NT kernel hooks had a mem leak or was not mem bound properly, causing other modules to throw exceptions.
  4. Went through MSCONFIG and disabled other startup / services that I find unnecessary.  Probably not a factor, but did it anyways.

Rebooted, FMPROADV doesn't crash with local nor remote DB access.  Whew. 

Most likely there were multiple source issues causing a confluence event (race condition, deadlock, deadly embrace, etc)

Probably 8 hours of messing around for past several days to solve the problem.  Happy to have the issue seemingly addressed. Wish there were better appcrash debug tools from MS, but ce la vie.   The new Windows 10 rolling updates / rolling versions kinda scares me, but perhaps Mr. Nadella will get back to WinXP/Win7 stability days.

Again, thanks to Wim.

-- Dave

This topic is 3270 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.