Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Crazy list of fields, is it possible?

This topic is 3267 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello there, on a list layout, I am showing the main fields from this tickets/service orders database, if the user wants more info he can just click on the "more info" and go to the layout that shows the full record, but sometimes the user wants to see just one extra field, lets say total due or date closed etc, is it possible to make a value list that lists the name of all the fields not showing (I can simple make the value list names), then based on that selection, show that specific field on the list?

I was thinking to have all the "possible" fields stacked, and set to hide unless their name is on a global field, and then with a on object validate script the value list insert the selected name from the list on that global field.

Is there a more elegant way to do this?

Thanks!!

You could have them choose an item from a pop up, then have a calculation field that shows values based on what the picked in the pop up. Not exactly dynamic though. You could also use some type of vertical tab to expose more fields.

A calculation would be pretty expensive just to provide extra fields.  Popovers work very well in displaying additional fields.

Modal popovers

The linked example does a bit more ... restricting commit until the User is finished with editing.  This provides transactional protection in case the data is being edited/added through WAN and also stops the upload which occurs every time the user clicks out of a field.  Many times User will make an edit to a field, click out, make another edit and so forth.  Each time, the entire record must be sent back to the server, causing a great deal of needless chatter. 

But there is nothing wrong with changing layouts either.  I use lists to show just necessary fields to identify the record needed then User can select it to see a detail page.

is it possible to make a value list that lists the name of all the fields not showing (I can simple make the value list names), then based on that selection, show that specific field on the list?

​This is is actually a built-in feature of Table view. However, I think this only works for full-access accounts.

A calculation would be pretty expensive just to provide extra fields.  Popovers work very well in displaying additional fields.

I thought the request was to show one extra field in List view - ​and letting the user determine which field that would be. Perhaps I misunderstood. In any case, a calculation field like that would have to be unstored (i.e. slow in large found sets), and it would be uneditable. It would also have to return a text result - so number or date values could not be formatted for display.

• Like 1

Do modal dialog window needs an extra connection to the server?

​Neither popovers (as in the link I provided) nor modal windows require an extra connection to the server.  They both are single-user interface tools.

• Like 1

This topic is 3267 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.