How to create a custom list of found set

Jared

This topic is 3223 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I want to have a list of all records (their names and id number) in the found set on the side of the layout and be able to select records and see related information while still being able to see all the rest of the records in the list.  

Thanks for the time!

One way requires a summary field ( "List of..." on the primary key) and a new self-join relationship. A self-join is when two table occurrences of the same table are related to each other. That relationship should be the new summary field to the primary key.

Then place a portal on your layout showing that new table occurrence with the fields you want.

Jared,

David's method is exactly what I'd do!  (Well, close; I'd couple "List of…" with a virtual list approach, which is a bit more involved but let's you retain the found set's sort order in the portal.) 

The format you're looking for is generically called a "Master-Detail" design.  For a fully fleshed-out version (one that you can integrate into your own solution, and/or study to see how the parts fit together) see these two Master-Details modules (original and 2.0) by Todd Geist over at the Modular FileMaker site.

hth,

Mark

This topic is 3223 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.