Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Multi Screen Layouts

Harry

This topic is 3198 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello Board!

I have a 6 screen video wall that presents as one desktop that is horizontal.

I have  a script that fires up, creates a new window, goes to a layout then opens another window. One window per monitor. I will fill these with images, web viewers and messages from other sources.

This is for a reception area to show corporate logos and adverts etc etc. We are also using it as a test bed for POS information in retail outlets served from our FMS installation.

My Monitors are 1080 x 1920 resolution.

When setting the window size, the unit is defined as 'Points'. Are these read the same as 'Pixels' in FM's case?

Cheers,

Harry

What version of FileMaker are you using?  I believe pixels were the standard unit of FileMaker through FM10, when they switched to a points-based unit of measurement for layouts & objects.

You can read about the difference here

Thank you for your reply. I am using FMS, FMP and FMPA 14 throughout.

Your links are how I have always understood it. Although, I know some software has interchanged the two meanings and they have been used independantly.

How can we design for an iPad, TV monitor, HiDef screen when the layout is based on physical print sizes? There must be a way...., what am I missing? 

Harry

Got it. This is what I'm missing:

from 'Layout Updates'

•
FileMaker Pro now manages layouts using points instead of pixels. On most computer screens, 1 point equals 1 pixel. On some high-resolution displays (such as the Retina display on iPhone), FileMaker Pro manages the display conversion to ensure proper screen rendering. By default, layout objects can be moved in 1 point increments. You can use the Inspector to place objects at intermediate values for precise sizing and placement of printed output.

I don't recall what it's actually called off of the top of my head, but it's some form of scaling that the OS or program automatically does for you.  I know that in Windows you can disable it, but if you're using a 4k screen and the default text and menu icon sizes it makes it fairly unusable as you can't read jack squat.

This topic is 3198 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.